[SOLVED] GPU Black Screen During Gaming - GTX 1080 TI FE

Aug 12, 2020
Hi all,

Trying to figure out the issue with my computer where it is black screening during high use such as gaming. (Escape from Tarkov is my current main I am having this issue in).

I'm pretty sure its the GPU due to mobo giving a VGA light for when the system won't post and I have to wait for it to cool.
After around 5 - 10 minutes it will come back on again.

Earlier today I have opened, cleaned, and repasted the GPU to try and rule out a try thermal compound issue but I am still having the issue.

Is it possible I have not left the compound set long enough or is there a further issue?

Some ideas I have my end:
The current heat? UK Summertime is horribly humid and around 28 - 32 degrees
Underlying System issue? The rig was built approx 2 months ago from brand new parts apart from the GPU which is approx 2 years old.

Attached below is my GPUZ Log from the last time it crashed. It crashed during a match. There is a small gap in the log from where I closed the software on accident.
Google Sheet with log

Specs:
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 56 °C
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1799MHz (18-22-22-42) - Corsair Vengance Pro
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) (AM4) 39 °C
Graphics
ASUS XG32V (2560x1440@144Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVIDIA) 43 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA ) 41 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))

Any help with this or ideas to try and troubleshoot and solve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Solution
Overheating motherboard VRM or overheating psu.
I'm thinking the latter, because I know that one will refuse to let you power on until it has cooled down enough.
Aug 12, 2020
Overheating motherboard VRM or overheating psu.
I'm thinking the latter, because I know that one will refuse to let you power on until it has cooled down enough.
I'd personally think it wasn't the PSU due to the fact, I get a black screen when this happens but the computer stays on. I just seem to lose video. Also when I reboot, the computer will fire its fan up and they will spin with the VGA light on the motherboard.

How would I go about diagnosing the other things you mentioned?