[SOLVED] GPU Black Screen ?

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi, I recently switched from AMD to Intel and since then my GPU is not sending a signal to the monitor, only giving a black screen, but the iGPU works. I have taken the GPU to be tested at my local shop and it worked fine so I thought it could have been my motherboard, after trying with a new motherboard it still gives a black screen, only working with the iGPU.
What could be the issue here?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

CPU: i5 9600k
Motherboard: MSI Z390 A PRO
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 600W BQ

Solution
How trustworthy is the shop you gave the GPU to have it tested?

Your PSU is not what I would have chosen to power a 1080 but it should have at least power up even if it has degraded.

I would try the GPU in another system with a decent PSU if possible (maybe a friend's or family) and see what the outcome is. If that is not possible, a new PSU of at least tier B from this list:
even if it's not the problem, you are safer using a better quality PSU that will follow through more power hungry GPU upgrades.

Your PSU is not what I would have chosen to power a 1080 but it should have at least power up even if it has degraded.

I would try the GPU in another system with a decent PSU if possible (maybe a friend's or family) and see what the outcome is. If that is not possible, a new PSU of at least tier B from this list:
even if it's not the problem, you are safer using a better quality PSU that will follow through more power hungry GPU upgrades.

Solution

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015

The shop has good reviews even though I didn't see it working myself I couldn't see why he would lie about it but I still wanted to see it working myself as the issue is a bit bizarre. I never had any problems with the gpu in my previous system

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Well, if you do trust them, ask them again to show you it's working. You might as well take the whole PC with you and have it diagnosed.
Okay I will do this I'm just a bit tight on money at the moment so may have to wait. Have you seen anything like this before? I just thought the same thing that the power supply would at least give the card a display and run into issues at a high load if there was a problem with it. Also doesn't the cpu run on the same rail as the gpu?

Thanks for helping by the way

I can't say for sure that I have seen something like this because I can not trust a shop I don't know. IF they are correct, it's probably PSU and it's uncommon. The CPU and GPU both use 12V but it does not mean it's the same rail. That depends on the PSU's model and manufacturer.

Cool Days

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
I can't say for sure that I have seen something like this because I can not trust a shop I don't know. IF they are correct, it's probably PSU and it's uncommon. The CPU and GPU both use 12V but it does not mean it's the same rail. That depends on the PSU's model and manufacturer.
Okay thank you very much. It's not ideal but I may be able to test it in my dads pc but i'd have to use my own power supply so not the best option but I'm willing to try it just in case and i'll get back to you. I just can't accept that anything is broken because the day I disassembled my old pc I was playing games and everything was fine, my psu, gpu and ram just sat there for 4 days until my parts arrived and this problem presents itself. I'm not sure if this is relevant but when the gpu is connected the fans spin and the pc boots into the desktop just with a black screen, when I switch the hdmi lead to the igpu it's already on the desktop.

TRENDING THREADS