Question GPU black screens when opening games or other intense tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WakeUpDeadPCs

Reputable
Jan 18, 2020
I got two of the same gpus, one works fine under pressure, video encoding, CUDA, 3D ,Graphics_1 all at 100% for extended time not a single black screen or anything weird, the other works fine for browsing pc/web and plays 4k60 video fine, but 10 seconds into opening a game or trying similar intense tasks as i do with the other card the screen goes black (still hear the game sounds) and i have to reboot),.

The bad card had a different bios on it, i used nvflash and flashed the bios from the working gpu which i ripped with gpu-z and that didnt fix it, i dont see any visual artifacts atall its just the blackscreen.

idle temps are fine though the gpu trips out before it takes any load to see temps go anywhere, i know when i underclocked the core and memory by -500 then played video it blackscreens about 10-15 seconds into playing the video.

At stock no blackscreen playing video, this was when i wasnt sure if it was getting enough power etc (was the first of the two cards i tried)

Going off that i'd assume the card isnt getting enough power when the load hits it though my power supplies are fine havent removed heatsink and looked at the card yet to see if anythings popped.

I remember the first time the card black screened the fan went to 100%, ever since that first time the fan never ramped up again when blackscreen.

I got two of the same gpus, one works fine under pressure, video encoding, CUDA, 3D ,Graphics_1 all at 100% for extended time not a single black screen or anything weird, the other works fine for browsing pc/web and plays 4k60 video fine, but 10 seconds into opening a game or trying similar intense tasks as i do with the other card the screen goes black (still hear the game sounds) and i have to reboot),.

The bad card had a different bios on it, i used nvflash and flashed the bios from the working gpu which i ripped with gpu-z and that didnt fix it, i dont see any visual artifacts atall its just the blackscreen.

idle temps are fine though the gpu trips out before it takes any load to see temps go anywhere, i know when i underclocked the core and memory by -500 then played video it blackscreens about 10-15 seconds into playing the video.

At stock no blackscreen playing video, this was when i wasnt sure if it was getting enough power etc (was the first of the two cards i tried)

Going off that i'd assume the card isnt getting enough power when the load hits it though my power supplies are fine havent removed heatsink and looked at the card yet to see if anythings popped.

I remember the first time the card black screened the fan went to 100%, ever since that first time the fan never ramped up again when blackscreen.
Sounds like it's having a power regulating problem unlike the other gpu. Try caping the power to the gpu to 3/4 max allotment see if this fixes it if it does the card needs rma'd due to bad power connections/controllers

WakeUpDeadPCs

Reputable
Jan 18, 2020
Sounds like it's having a power regulating problem unlike the other gpu. Try caping the power to the gpu to 3/4 max allotment see if this fixes it if it does the card needs rma'd due to bad power connections/controllers
nope still black screens, i wondered if the vram was corrupt(even though it shows in task manager and gpu-z as 6gb and everything shows fine (no unknown or 0's)

so i opened up some 4k videos on youtube but paused all of them in an attempt to fill the vram and it blackscreened, all my other tests that made it blackscreen would normally load up the vram quick, AI cuda stuff i do would spike a few gb instantly and video encoding wouldadd about 800mb as soon as it starts encoding and 10 seconds into games the vram would normally start to fill.

So im looking along that area now.... bought them both off ebay used and my country is way off with customs and such RMAing anything isn't an option in my mind.

Vram usage aside i noted that playing a 1080p video with the nvenc hardware decoding at stock would be fine but 10 seconds into playing the same video with the core and memory turned down -500 made it blackscreen.

I i havent manually attempted many different speeds yet that would be alot of blackscreens and rebooting.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Status
Not open for further replies.