[SOLVED] GPU board level repair service?

Driver86

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
I have an MSI GTX 1060 6gb GPU which has worked well for several years now. Recently, it developed a problem where it will only run at 800x600 and the screen is covered in artifacts. The BIOS sees an Nvidia card but Windows 10 does not recognize it. Given the price and scarcity of GPUs in general I would like to find someone who can do board level repairs to give me a quote to replace whatever component has died.

Solution
If you are getting artifacts, then most likely your GPU is dead. Could be a VRAM corruption issue as well. I don't think repairing the GPU would be THAT simple, or if it can indeed be done on this GPU, depending on which components have aged/died, IMO.

You would be much better off buying a brand new GPU, IF possible. Yes I know about the current GPU market condition, as it has been nearly impossible to grab a new gaming GPU or CPU for that matter, at least at the MSRP rate set by AMD and Nvidia.

Can you RMA the card, assuming some warranty is still left ? Can you play GAMES on this GPU ? What's the GPU TEMP value when you encounter "Artifacts" on screen ? Are the artifacts also prominent even in Idle desktop Mode ?
If you are getting artifacts, then most likely your GPU is dead. Could be a VRAM corruption issue as well. I don't think repairing the GPU would be THAT simple, or if it can indeed be done on this GPU, depending on which components have aged/died, IMO.

You would be much better off buying a brand new GPU, IF possible. Yes I know about the current GPU market condition, as it has been nearly impossible to grab a new gaming GPU or CPU for that matter, at least at the MSRP rate set by AMD and Nvidia.

Can you RMA the card, assuming some warranty is still left ? Can you play GAMES on this GPU ? What's the GPU TEMP value when you encounter "Artifacts" on screen ? Are the artifacts also prominent even in Idle desktop Mode ?

Reactions: sgnz
Solution

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
I agree with metal messiah!
One thing you could try is to use msi afterburner, see if it recognizes the card and underclock the memory clock bit by bit and see if it stops the artifacts and let's you change the screen resolution

Reactions: Metal Messiah.