[SOLVED] GPU both mounting holes were stripped out and now screws won't tighten

Apr 25, 2021
I stripped out the mounting holes of my case and now the screws can't tighten my GPU in place, they still hold it in though just not tight enough. I have a few questions about this:
  1. Is it safe to leave it like this without doing any damage to the GPU or the PCIe slot?
  2. If not, will leaving my case sideways help the situation to reduce the stress on the PCIe slot and avoid any damage possible?
  3. How do I repair the holes? Do I just get bigger screws? My case is RAIDMAX NEON ARGB.

My GPU is the GIGABYTE GTX 1650 Super by the way, and it weighs 1.715 lb / 0.778 kg.
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
You should be able to buy a self tapping screw at home depot or such.
The main thing is that when inserted, it should not fall out easily.
Take the old screw with you so you can guage the length and size needed.

Graphics cards are heavy, and you do not want it to leverage the pcie slot.
Putting the pc on the side as a temporary measure is ok.

Does your motherboard have a second x16 slot that you can use?
Running at X8 will impact performance only on the very strongest of cards.

InvalidError

Titan
To use a bigger screw, you may need to widen the hole to the next common tap and screw size up. If the screw is long enough, you may be able to use a nut on the other side, that would be my preferred fix. The third option would be to weld the hole shut, re-drill and re-tap it.

Apr 25, 2021
To use a bigger screw, you may need to widen the hole to the next common tap and screw size up. If the screw is long enough, you may be able to use a nut on the other side, that would be my preferred fix. The third option would be to weld the hole shut, re-drill and re-tap it.
But is it safe to leave it like this? If not should I leave it sideways until I fix the hole?

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I'd put in a slightly bigger screw. You can leave the case sideways in a pinch.

Just be mindful when handling or plugging in/out video cables as the card can become dislodged.

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
I had the same problem, but for me only one mounting hole didnt work so i didnt want to take the risk.I have an rx 570 nitro which sounds like a small card but i assure its huge,the cooler is larger than some laptops and heavier.
So i bought 2.5mm screws and a 5 size wrench(i live in Romania,idk what key size it would be for that size screw).there are wrenches for these small sizes.It doesnt work as well with the finger,except if you use rubber gloves that have better grip.Medical latex gloves work probably.But dont screw them in incredibly tight,like crazy tight,but secure them safely in place,tighten them very well,but dont overdo it i think(im not sure you can,but just to be safe).You cant overtighten them with latex gloves,but if you do it with a small wrench you might,idk.

https://ibb.co/c8XVtRP

Here are the pics.
They are very tight,i also added a elastic grover washer which takes care of the vibration better.
Its much better than with the original screws.I basically put in normal screws and nuts and washers and it works great.
I think it would work with a 3mm screw,but i thought its kind of too tight of a fit so i went with a 2,5 mm one and they work great.You dont need such a long screw,like the ones i have there,but the diameter only.Thats the only length screws i could find at that diameter.

Here is a transformation table between us sizes and mm https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Metric-US-Conversion-Table.aspx
Idk how accurate this is.But its prob good.

And to your question as to whether its safe to leave it without being screwed in,i would say that most definetely no,it isnt.Especially now when if it breaks a 1650 is like 400 dollars,because of lack of stocks(scalpers+miners have caused massive inflation of prices so take care of your card).It could also break your motherboard,so no it isnt safe.
Do what i did,put normal screws and nuts and washers and it works great,better than before.

You should be able to buy a self tapping screw at home depot or such.
The main thing is that when inserted, it should not fall out easily.
Take the old screw with you so you can guage the length and size needed.

Graphics cards are heavy, and you do not want it to leverage the pcie slot.
Putting the pc on the side as a temporary measure is ok.

Does your motherboard have a second x16 slot that you can use?
Running at X8 will impact performance only on the very strongest of cards.

Solution