Gpu bottleneck? Bottlenecker wrong?

Jan 2, 2018
I went to see if my graphics card would bottleneck my CPU on thebottlenecker.com i did the test and it said that i had a 80% bottleneck and anything over 10% was considered a bottleneck. i read up and learned that this site is incorrect and inaccurate. is there any way i can calculate if i have a bottleneck?

system specs
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2.33 ghz
Graphics card: PNY Nvidia Geforce Gt 710 2 Gb Passive
MOBO: Intel dg33fb
RAM: 4gb DDR2 800mhz
PSU: Enlight 450 w

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
If we are talking aboug game performance, the test is easy. Run your game at the native resolution of your monitor, for this example let's say it's 1080p. Run the game at low settings and note the framerate you're getting. Now run the same game the same way, except at a much lower resolution like 720p. If your CPU is not the bottleneck but your videocard is the bottleneck, you will see much higher framerate at the lower resolution. If your CPU is the bottleneck then you will not see much improvement by lowering the resolution.

The reason for this is increasing resolution puts more of the load on the videocard, lowering resolution removes that load. Keep in mind that games can have different levels of demand when it comes to computer...

kanewolf

Titan
The best way to determine a bottleneck is to play whatever game you are interested in and monitor the CPU, GPU and memory usage. If you have consistent 90%+ utilization of any of those things but the other areas a significantly lower, then that component is your limiting factor "a bottleneck".

If we are talking aboug game performance, the test is easy. Run your game at the native resolution of your monitor, for this example let's say it's 1080p. Run the game at low settings and note the framerate you're getting. Now run the same game the same way, except at a much lower resolution like 720p. If your CPU is not the bottleneck but your videocard is the bottleneck, you will see much higher framerate at the lower resolution. If your CPU is the bottleneck then you will not see much improvement by lowering the resolution.

The reason for this is increasing resolution puts more of the load on the videocard, lowering resolution removes that load. Keep in mind that games can have different levels of demand when it comes to computer power. You have a dual core paired with a GT 710, in a lot of games BOTH components will be the bottleneck.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

"Both components" can't be a bottleneck. A bottleneck only happens if there is an imbalance. If "both components" are equally inadequate, then your system may be poor but not bottlenecked.

rylanxanderson

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018

He's saying that if your components are perfectly balanced, the you would need to upgrade multiple to see ANY improvement. In a perfect world where the application is irrelevant to the hardware ;)

TRENDING THREADS