[SOLVED] GPU Bottleneck? From 3 2200G to 7 1800x

Jun 12, 2020
I have an asus prime a320m k mobo with 16gb 2400mhz ram and rtx 3060 ti fe. I just managed to get a Ryzen 7 1800x from ebay for £25, and it's to come to me soon. I was originally wanting to go for a 5 3600, but I don't have much money. I just wanna know what would the difference between the 5 3600 and the 7 1800x be in terms of gaming performance, also do I need to upgrade my mobo it's version 9005, or is it just plug and play? Maybe imma do some fn as well, will my cpu bottle neck my gpu?

Solution
The 3600 is a FAR better choice for just gaming due to the much higher IPC. The 1800X should be a nice up from the 2200G on core/thread count alone. That price was astounding and I don't feel you made a bad choice in that respect.
Keep in mind that it will require a robust cooler. Don't use the stock one from the 2200.

My concern would be the VRM on that motherboard. Since it's "technically" not an OC mobo, it should be fine. I think you should concentrate on a better motherboard and/or some faster RAM next.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The 3600 is a FAR better choice for just gaming due to the much higher IPC. The 1800X should be a nice up from the 2200G on core/thread count alone. That price was astounding and I don't feel you made a bad choice in that respect.
Keep in mind that it will require a robust cooler. Don't use the stock one from the 2200.

My concern would be the VRM on that motherboard. Since it's "technically" not an OC mobo, it should be fine. I think you should concentrate on a better motherboard and/or some faster RAM next.

Solution
Jun 12, 2020

Thanks for the reply mate, what cooler would you recommend? Gonna use this one for a while as it's the only one I have, or if i'm lucky I might get the 1800x cooler if it comes with it. Any cheap good ones for the 1800x and my a320m k mobo?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply mate, what cooler would you recommend? Gonna use this one for a while as it's the only one I have, or if i'm lucky I might get the 1800x cooler if it comes with it. Any cheap good ones for the 1800x and my a320m k mobo?

I would consider picking up something at least on the Hyper 212 level. I have heard lots of accounts that the Snowman CPU cooler is a worthwhile budget purchase. One of the newer AMD coolers like a Wraith Prism, or Spire for the R7 would be fine as well. Particularly if you kept those stock clip down mount plates.