GPU Bottleneck, need advices for an optimized video card for my old motherboard.

BigFoots

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Hi all,

Before i start, please excuse my english, it's not my native language :)

I need some advices so i can choose the right video card upgrade for my actual setup. I don't want to spend too much $$ for small payback in performance.

I did some tests with GPU-Z and the window performances monitor so i could figure who was bottlenecking between my CPU and GPU. I tested with DIablo 3 and Team fortress 2 with 16 bots.

Overall, CPU was at about 70-72% while the Video card was at 98-100%.

Also, while playing Tf2, CPU % increased as i added more bots and FPS went up as i decreased the textures quality.

My setup:
------------
Antec 300 (ATX)
Intel Core2Duo E8400
MOBO Asus P5QL-Pro (P43,PCIE)
Sapphire PCI Radeo HD4870 (1GB)
HDD Sata2 Western digital 320 gigs 7200 rpm
PSU Antec 650 W Earth (EA650)
RAM: Kingston KVR 800 Mhz DDR2 4GB
-------------

I will buy another hard drive soon, no worries :)

I have 2 questions:

1- Which videocard should i get to maximise my gaming performance ?? (i might overclock the cpu later, if it's worth it).

2- Assuming i will change my hard drive (Prob SSD) ... do you think having another 4GB ram will help to prevent the cpu from bottlenecking the new/improved video card ??

That's it i think, tell me if you need more informations !

Thanks in advance for your help, have a nice day !

Jack

Solution
Upgrading to a Core 2 Quad and a GTX 650 Ti would be fine for your current roster of games, and GTA V should run pretty well too. The minimum system requirements are a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 9800 GT.

As far as I know, Bethesda haven't released the system requirements for Fallout 4 yet, but the previous games were pretty light on hardware, so hopefully the new one will continue that trend.

If you currently have a budget of $400-$450 then I'd suggest that you save a little longer and upgrade the motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM in one fell swoop.
You need to upgrade both the CPU and GPU. If you only do one, it will be bottlenecked by the other. All the components need to be on a level playing field.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then you can opt for a Core 2 Quad instead of shelling out for a new CPU and motherboard. If you paired this with a GTX 650 Ti or HD 7850, then you'd have something reasonably good. If you want to get into AAA gaming then your PC will likely need a complete overhaul.

What's your total budget?

BigFoots

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
damn :)

Well my primary goal was to upgrade my machine so i could play my actual games smoother (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Teamfortress 2 without fps cfg) and still be able to play Fallout 4 and GTA 5. As long as the graphics are fluids and nice, i don't really need ultra settings or 4K since i would have to change my monitor too.

My budget would be max 400-450$.

I have the GTX650TI in mind, which Quad cpu do you think would be worth investing ??

Upgrading to a Core 2 Quad and a GTX 650 Ti would be fine for your current roster of games, and GTA V should run pretty well too. The minimum system requirements are a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 9800 GT.

As far as I know, Bethesda haven't released the system requirements for Fallout 4 yet, but the previous games were pretty light on hardware, so hopefully the new one will continue that trend.

If you currently have a budget of $400-$450 then I'd suggest that you save a little longer and upgrade the motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM in one fell swoop.

Solution

BigFoots

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for your time ! I digged a bit about the Q series CPU and i realize the upgrade is not worth it at all ... the prices are still high for the small improvement i will get.

I will get a new hard drive for now and in a few months, i plan to go with I5-4590 / GTX960 / Asus H97 / 8GB ram / 500GB SSD + 1TB HD

Now i just hope i'll be able to keep this setup for 5 years like i did with my current one ! :)

TRENDING THREADS