[SOLVED] Gpu bottleneck?

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Hi!
I Bought about a year ago My gpu RX 580 Saphire 8gb and i feel like in some games it's underperforming ( doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be) since 4-5 months ago.
The only change i've made is my PSU because my old one died.
My new PSU is: Corsair VS Series Vs 550 White

I know its pretty mediocre but afford a better one at the time when my psu died. i've Updated my Mobo bios,DDU my GPU,reinstalled Windows 10 but didn't help.
Could this be a problem?

Solution
Hi!
I Bought about a year ago My gpu RX 580 Saphire 8gb and i feel like in some games it's underperforming ( doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be) since 4-5 months ago.

I know its pretty mediocre but afford a better one at the time when my psu died. i've Updated my Mobo bios,DDU my GPU,reinstalled Windows 10 but didn't help.
Could this be a problem?

That PSU, even though new, is giving me anxiety. Can you return it? I would almost say it is worth returning it and doing without use of the PC until you can buy a higher-quality unit.

Also, what country do you buy parts in?

From the posting of the first link in my sig...

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Yes please list full pc spec.

Are these new games? What are the cpu and gpu temperatures? What resolution do you use?
If you never tell us what CPU you using, also ram? post it and you might get more help

PC specs
Cpu: Ryzen 2600
Ram: Patriot Viper 4 8gb ddr4 3000MHz (dual channel)
Gpu: RX 580 Saphire 8gb
Psu: Corsair VS Series Vs 550 White
Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming b450
I play on a 144hz monitor with displayport obviously (could it be cable problem?)

Temperatures while gaming im not very sure the most i've seen my Gpu is arround 56-60c
While not gaming Atm my gpu is 29c and my Mobo 40c
The general answer to that is my Temp's in general are not getting high

I'm gonna give you the most simple example on league of legends i play on Stable 144 Fps because if you go higher your character's start's teleporting in your screen...the problem that happens a lot is that fps can drop down too 100 and stay arround 110-120 for big period of time..same with Cs:go while graphics were all low and playing on 4:3 1280x1080 i think was the resulotion FPS were not going over 150+ i think my average is 135 while i checked the last time on new Amd software , in general the game was feeling really cluncy. In apex a newer game same story i have stable my FPS 100 and if there is action going a lot of times the game just stutter's non stop.
Also one more thing i use activated windows but they are not legit could this be one more source that causes fps drops in general?

Ps: Sorry i your eyes are bleeding with my english! i tried my best :D

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi!

Could this be a problem?

That PSU, even though new, is giving me anxiety. Can you return it? I would almost say it is worth returning it and doing without use of the PC until you can buy a higher-quality unit.

From the posting of the first link in my sig, talking about the newer VS models:
These are better than any of the units down below in the wall of shame list, and better than the older VS and CX units, but don't assume you that you can simply pair a graphics card that has a 550w recommendation with a 550w VS unit and not have any problems, because in all probability, you will. These units are not meant for use with high demand gaming systems. In a PINCH, for VERY short term use, they will work, but they are not going to last under the rigors of daily gaming loads.

Solution

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Your English is very good, better than many where English is their first language :D

What is you CPU temperature while gaming? What is your GPU and CPU usage (% each cpu core/tread) when getting low FPS?

Are you sure your RAM is running at 3000MHz?

GPU usage while gaming 100% and CPU is max 20%
Temp after a couple of Apex games is 48-50c
yes my ram is clocked on 3000MHz
i don't really know how i can tell your about each cpu core/thread

You cant get bottleneck with taht config, either driver or thermal throttling
Thermal throttling you mean high temp's? that can't be the issue

From the posting of the first link in my sig, talking about the newer VS models:
Thank you for clearing this out! I can't tell 100% but i think this started happening arround the time i bought this PSU i just wanna be sure this could be a problem so i can replace is as fast as i can...
Also i bought my parts from a Greek website i dont really know where they get it from but most likely is some european country.

So in short terms it could be a problem the poor usage of voltage after many gaming hours to bottleneck a gpu?
Especially on a demanding gpu as rx 580?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If slowing the GPU down is the ONLY thing that happens, then you're lucky. I wouldn't particularly trust that PSU to survive under the load.

Are you limited to buying from Greek vendors? Are there any sites online that you specifically trust to purchase from?

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
If slowing the GPU down is the ONLY thing that happens, then you're lucky. I wouldn't particularly trust that PSU to survive under the load.

Are you limited to buying from Greek vendors? Are there any sites online that you specifically trust to purchase from?

Well in greece you never know even if it's a trustworthy site as it seems for example where i bought most of my part's it was a trustworthy site but my PSU turned out getting toasted after 7-8 months..i'm not limited buying from greek vendors only i just dont have a big budget and when there's shipping envolved most of the time for greece its not worth it look into amazon for example...but yes i get the point i need to change my PSU asap
i used to have CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550 80 Plus bronze and i can replace it for free should i go back to it or should i look into a new one ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's a mistake that a LOT of people make - and I've done so in the past as well. Part of the problem is that there are a LOT of bad PSUs out there, sometimes misleading labels, and sometimes they're sold by companies that have a good reputation outside of PSUs.

With a good quality PSU, 550W is definitely enough. I would suggest, depending on what you can get a hold of or have access to:
  • Seasonic FOCUS, Seasonic PRIME
  • Corsair TX, HX, AX, RM

If the Corsair CX or CXm are available, make sure they're not the green label ones. Also, make sure they're indicated as the 2017 model, as the older ones are not good. The year is usually clearly indicated when you're doing a search on PCPartPicker, but I'm not sure how well vendor websites specify this, if they do at all. I'd also probably want to go 650W if going with the CX or CXm, just to give the lower-quality model a little more breathing room.

The Corsair Vengeance is a little above the CX/CXm, but below the TX, HX, AX, and RM.

I don't suppose you can order from German online stores, can you? I've found that using de.pcpartpicker.com shows a wide availability. I have no idea how much shipping would be, or other concerns crossing borders, though.

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
It's a mistake that a LOT of people make - and I've done so in the past as well. Part of the problem is that there are a LOT of bad PSUs out there, sometimes misleading labels, and sometimes they're sold by companies that have a good reputation outside of PSUs.

With a good quality PSU, 550W is definitely enough. I would suggest, depending on what you can get a hold of or have access to:
  • Seasonic FOCUS, Seasonic PRIME
  • Corsair TX, HX, AX, RM
If the Corsair CX or CXm are available, make sure they're not the green label ones. Also, make sure they're indicated as the 2017 model, as the older ones are not good. The year is usually clearly indicated when you're doing a search on PCPartPicker, but I'm not sure how well vendor websites specify this, if they do at all. I'd also probably want to go 650W if going with the CX or CXm, just to give the lower-quality model a little more breathing room.

The Corsair Vengeance is a little above the CX/CXm, but below the TX, HX, AX, and RM.

I don't suppose you can order from German online stores, can you? I've found that using de.pcpartpicker.com shows a wide availability. I have no idea how much shipping would be, or other concerns crossing borders, though.

Well i'll have to check about that and the price difference but i suppose you recommend that because they are more legit? perhaps you could show me some german online store ?
Also i can have access to most psu's out there

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't really know the German online stores, as I am in the US, but that seems to generally be what I've noticed as the usual place to look up parts availability.

But, if you click on this link:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...ort=price&A=550000000000,2000000000000&page=1

Then, copy/paste the following text into the search box at the upper right:
focus|prime|tx|hx|ax|rm|vengeance

Given the results, I would go for the 550W Corsair TXM Gold. Only €2 more than the 650W Vengeance, but the TXM is, as I've seen someone else describe it, "built like a tank."

Those prices are assuming Germany - I'm sure that delivering to Greece, if the vendor will do so, will add to the cost.

At the topmost portion of the screen, almost all the way to the right, there's a selection for different countries. Greece, unfortunately, is not on the list, but you can select from other European countries than Deustchland.

There ARE other brands/models that are good - but you'd have to go back to that must-read link, search through, and then start playing with the search parameters on PCPartPicker to see if you can find a better deal.

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
I don't really know the German online stores, as I am in the US, but that seems to generally be what I've noticed as the usual place to look up parts availability.

But, if you click on this link:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...ort=price&A=550000000000,2000000000000&page=1

Then, copy/paste the following text into the search box at the upper right:
focus|prime|tx|hx|ax|rm|vengeance

Given the results, I would go for the 550W Corsair TXM Gold. Only €2 more than the 650W Vengeance, but the TXM is, as I've seen someone else describe it, "built like a tank."

Those prices are assuming Germany - I'm sure that delivering to Greece, if the vendor will do so, will add to the cost.

At the topmost portion of the screen, almost all the way to the right, there's a selection for different countries. Greece, unfortunately, is not on the list, but you can select from other European countries than Deustchland.

There ARE other brands/models that are good - but you'd have to go back to that must-read link, search through, and then start playing with the search parameters on PCPartPicker to see if you can find a better deal.

Thank's for that ...that will help for future searching also a lot!
Yeah i found the Psu that you said same price as some german web stores sell it...seems pretty legit good rating's also ill give it some time to look for something that might have better value which i doubt! :D

Thanks a lot man you've been great help i wish you the best!

Reactions: King_V