Question gpu bottleneck?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
I have a question and i have no idea how to actually word it properly nor do i know how this can be so , my system specs are ryzen 5: 3600 ,asus ko 3060ti 8gb oc edition, 32 gigs 3200 cl 16 memory , msi b550m pro vdh wifi , i noticed that here recently my gpu has been at 98/99/100% while gaming where the cpu is only at 45-50%, i tried furmark and the same thing 99% gpu but only 15% cpu, how is it possible for my 3060ti to be bottlenecking rather than the not so good cpu? i would imagine or think it would be the cpu to be the weak link not my gpu but i dont know how botlenecking works, what causes it how to test for it or how to fix it so im hoping to get some help.

Hey there,

So, the term bottleneck is slightly misleading, and often gets people hung up on the wrong metrics.

Your CPU is still quite decent for gaming. 6c/12t with a 4.2ghz boost speed. So still very capable. The 3060ti is a strong mid-range GPU. It running at 99% is fine. It means for the most part your GPU is working as it should to produce as many frames as it can. The CPU/GPU combo is pretty balanced, perhaps slightly on the side of the GPU.

Sure, if you had a 5600x or a 7600x would you get more FPS in a given game? Well, the answer is yes. But not as much as you might think, specially with a mid-high tier GPU (3060ti),

How do your games play? Do you get good FPS, no stutters? Is it smooth experience, and enjoyable one? If the answer yes to most of these questions, then forget about a potential bottleneck and try enjoy your experience. If down the line, your not getting the FPS you need, then a bump to a 5600x/5700x/5800x 3d are all options to give you more FPS from your current GPU. Maybe between 5-15% depending on the game.

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Hey there,

So, the term bottleneck is slightly misleading, and often gets people hung up on the wrong metrics.

Your CPU is still quite decent for gaming. 6c/12t with a 4.2ghz boost speed. So still very capable. The 3060ti is a strong mid-range GPU. It running at 99% is fine. It means for the most part your GPU is working as it should to produce as many frames as it can. The CPU/GPU combo is pretty balanced, perhaps slightly on the side of the GPU.

Sure, if you had a 5600x or a 7600x would you get more FPS in a given game? Well, the answer is yes. But not as much as you might think, specially with a mid-high tier GPU (3060ti),

How do your games play? Do you get good FPS, no stutters? Is it smooth experience, and enjoyable one? If the answer yes to most of these questions, then forget about a potential bottleneck and try enjoy your experience. If down the line, your not getting the FPS you need, then a bump to a 5600x/5700x/5800x 3d are all options to give you more FPS from your current GPU. Maybe between 5-15% depending on the game.
ty for the reply, no i dont get decent fps its rather quite frustrating tbh i get around 120 in mw2/warzone , i do get stutters here and there, smooth yeah for the most part, when i ran the ingame benchmark in mw2 it showed my gpu at a 97% bottleneck cpu was 2% , im not sure how accurate that is but literally everone is using it to test their new 4090 systems where they get like 500 fps lol, i did plan on upgrades after i get dental implant surgery which is taking forever to hear back from them , i have a pretty decent amopunt of money saved up for that incase my insurance doesnmt cover it but obviously i dont wwant to go through it all either , im looking at building a 5800x3d, x 570 with this 3060ti + tower/ram/psu with a better cpu cooler (noctua) and taking my 1660 thats in a box and putting it in this build for a capture pc for streams if i ever go that route so ill have 2 pcs. i am on the new driver which some people say has issues and i did mess with the control panel so that could be an issue also , i cant run 1080 for some reason both my monitors act up , i have gsync disabled one monitor is 27" one 23" and tehy just go wonky and i dont even get a fps boost which is weird

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Hey there,

when i turn off gpu acceleration in windows settings the gpu doesnt go over 30% :|