[SOLVED] GPU Brand "rankings"

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Due to the stock issues the world is seeing at the moment, I'm possibly at a stage where I'm going to need to make concessions in terms of not picking the absolute best quality part I can get...

With that in mind, what are peoples thoughts on "best" GPU brands?

To my knowledge, MSI and ASUS sit at the top, however I don't know much about how other companies match up compared to them. If you had to rank brands, where would you place them?

Solution
You're going to get a lot of personal thoughts on this. For example, i know msi makes good parts, but i personally have never used them and never will. I love Gigabyte, but many won't consider them. Asus is generally agreed to be the best, but they have many customer service horror stories recently.

Because you are asking for people's options this is all true, and not true. Good luck in your search.

4745454b

Titan
You're going to get a lot of personal thoughts on this. For example, i know msi makes good parts, but i personally have never used them and never will. I love Gigabyte, but many won't consider them. Asus is generally agreed to be the best, but they have many customer service horror stories recently.

Because you are asking for people's options this is all true, and not true. Good luck in your search.

Solution

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

Is your issues with MSI the Scalping done by their US branch?
Starlite I think they are called

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
There are many to choose from, its all about experience that people have. Some had good, some had bad, some don't care. I have zotac and gigabyte gpu's in my pc's. In my country, we pay double the price of mrp's. And that is even before the mining craze. Zotac and gigabyte is the best price for performance here. Even mobo and cpu and psu.

Like i wanted to build a mini itx pc but only asus and msi mobos here and cost 4x more that a micro atx board.

Gpu's same. Way overpriced. Its a matter of choice. Found something you like, googel it and read reviews, check prices and availibility and make a choice

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I love the older msi.Not sure about the new ones but it is black and red which fits with my pc setup But....i found and gtx 1070 ti from gigabyte which was with converted currency 211 usd.The msi one was just the plain gtx 1070 and was 209 usd so it was a no brainier for me.

Personally i don't feel anyone is better it all depends on price.Ye maybe there's ones that's better than the other one but usually you pay a premium for them.So get what fits your budget.

DeadnightWarrior

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
blogofthunder.eu
It all boils down to brand reputation and mostly to how efficient their customer support is.
I would easily imagine that MSI, Asus or Gigabyte have better support than, say, Palit, Powercolor and so on.
That being said, for AMD GPUs I'd go with Sapphire: I had several of their cards and none ever gave a single trouble.
Ironically, the only two cards I had that did fail were both Asus! They were 15 years apart from each other but it's weird to think I bought 2 Asus cards in my life and they both broke.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
From personal experience since I came back to PC gaming since the old voodoo graphics days,

Radeon ASUS 6670 1GB
MSI R9 280X 3GB
Gigabyte windforce triple fan 780 OC
Zotac 1060 6gb
ASUS 3070 Rog Strix 8gb

Only the MSI was rubbish and it was artifacting in Dayz or any game after 1 hour of use so I am guessing faulty or overheating. I sold it to a miner I think so got my moneys worth back.

Of all the cards I have been most happy with the ASUS brand, they are my recommendation. But I think it does not matter which brand you go these days, just which type you buy as some cards are more expensive because they have better parts and cooling and I would suggest to pay the extra for a better stable experience and longer lifespan.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Gotcha, thanks guys. Appreciated. I've usually stuck with MSI because they're the brand I've always used and they've always worked fine for me, ASUS I was planning to go with purely from a "they are good" perspective - I think I'm going to broaden my horizons and look at Gigabyte and EVGA as well though, I don't think I want to go as far as the Chinese sounding brands like Palit and Zotac, as they come across as cheap. I don't want to pay high prices to get something that is effectively a cheap product.

Based on that I've created a "list" in order of the cards I'd want essentially..

Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC
MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24G
Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3090 Xtreme
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio

Same stuff applies to the 3080 range but they're rarer than a leprachaun sitting on a pile of gold so realistically I'm not going to get a 3080.