GPU broken after unplugging 6-pin PCI-E Power

Spirlazz

Commendable
May 5, 2016
So I bought this old HD4850 at an garage sale today, first it was working just fine but I noticed some flikkering and some weird glitchyness in ubuntu. I wanted to test it in a different system so I thought: "Hey, it's an old GPU idk if it breaks" So I pulled out the GPU 6-pin PCI-E cable and all the fans started spinning at full speed, then I powered the system down and installed the GPU in a different, more modern system, but it didn't work. So I thought: "That crappy old GPU doesnt even work with my PCI-E 3 8x slot" and installed it back into my old system... and now nothing happens! So if anyone can help me with this problem I will thank you!
(sorry for my bad English)

Thanks

PC Specs:
Old PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, AMD R7 250(Now), 4Gb ddr2, msi ms-7528.
Newer PC: AMD A10 5800k, AMD R9 380x(Now), 10Gb ddr3, ASRock FM2A78M-HD+.

Solution
Pulling the PCIe plug while the system was on was likely your downfall. Thats a bad idea and any number of things could have happened.

No it probably didn't make sparks, but damage definitely could have happened.
''So I pulled out the GPU 6-pin PCI-E cable and all the fans started spinning at full speed, then I powered the system down ''

learn anything ?? you knida did thing wrong with that no telling what arced and sparked when you did that and could of damaged the card ??

that was silly toe to unhook a card when its still running or under any power

Spirlazz

Commendable
May 5, 2016

Yeah kinda dumb. but the whole system is working but the videocard... and there were no sparks.

Spirlazz

Commendable
May 5, 2016

I never ground myself when I work on PC's, There is no harm if your'e not working a a carpet or something fluffy like that.

TRENDING THREADS