Question gpu burning smell and knock sound . how to fix ?

Jul 2, 2023
so i built a pc , turned it on, bios screen showed up. everything was stable until suddenly a knock sound like a component of pcb blowed up and after it , a very strong burning smell from the pc . i was shocked, didn't attention to anything , just force shot down it. after a lot of sniffing i realized it was from gpu . 4 days later, i tested it to see if by any chance i could see something on screen
and surprised! it was working and fans were spinning normally. turned it off to find the source of damage and at the same time wondering why is it still working! it seems normal, but from a specific angle you can see somewhere near the vrams color is different.
I'll upload a photo.
i bought everything ((but)) the gpu and psu new .
psu has still warranty , but gpu doesn't.

why did it happen?

could it be a faulty psu ?

what actually happened to the gpu ?

if vrams are burned , so how can it still works ?

it it safe to use it like this? and what would be the different compar to a healthy gpu?

is it gonna fix ?

before anything i really appreciate any suggestion or your ideas any little of them would be a great help .
my specs :
gpu : msi mech 2x 6600 xt
cpu : 12100f
mobo : asus b660 ma
psu : ocpc 750w gold full modular
ram : 16 gb corsair rgb
the guy who i bought gpu from , did a full furmark test and it seemed ok .
p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

As more days go by, the more unknown brands I'm getting to come across in the PC industry.

a knock sound like a component of pcb blowed up and after it , a very strong burning smell from the pc
You might want strip everything down and then inspect each component's inch by inch, to see what part was afflicted. You should look for a blown capacitor or diode.

As for your GPU's images, you need to take a picture of the entire PCB, back and front. Just another FYI, was the card under warranty? if so, you just voided it by taking the cooler off(tapering with the warranty void sticker).

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt
Jul 2, 2023

As more days go by, the more unknown brands I'm getting to come across in the PC industry.

a knock sound like a component of pcb blowed up and after it , a very strong burning smell from the pc
You might want strip everything down and then inspect each component's inch by inch, to see what part was afflicted. You should look for a blown capacitor or diode.

As for your GPU's images, you need to take a picture of the entire PCB, back and front. Just another FYI, was the card under warranty? if so, you just voided it by taking the cooler off(tapering with the warranty void sticker).

hey , thanks for your reply.
card has no warranty left, so it doesn't matter
actually im almost sure checked other parts
and you're right there must be something like capacitor blowed up, but i couldn't find it.
maybe it's inside the psu .
and when i turned it on for the second time
everything seemed normal and no error beep sound from motherboard.
*i didn't take pic of the entire gpu cause was fine on other areas. only could find those burned places near vrams.i double checked.