[SOLVED] GPU burning up my system

TheKittenSlay3r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2014
So I got a 3080 a few weeks back and I've been playing around with different solutions to fix my heat problem in my case, what currently happens is the case gets too hot and my ram ends up crashing, the card itself is able to run at normal temps never going about 80 however the rest of my system is suffering.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tku9LYm

Current fix shown above I went with a vertical mount due to the location of where the card ejects its heat being at the side (top in that image) and having only about maybe an inch of clearance if that which was making the card itself run hotter as well as heating up the glass and trapping heat in my case. (the gaps between the glass were too small for the amount of heat being shoveled out of the card). I bought 3 brand new fans (the 2 at the top and back) and positioned them as exhaust fans to try and suck out the heat being shoveled out of the top of the card, the two fans on the right were added as tests to try and pull more air from the front of the case from where my cpu radiator is, the front already has 3 intake fans pulling air in.

My idea is to possibly use the top as an intake and to position the back and front as exhausts to try and quell the amount of hot air being pulled across my board.

I'd love some feedback on what else I can possibly do, Currently there are no water blocks available that I'm willing to jump on especially since it would be a first time for me to install one on a brand new card.

Solution
As you currently have it - according to the image - it's almost entirely exhaust = no good.
1)You said that you have 3 intakes - not clearly visible in the image - on the other side of that radiator...
You've created a dead zone at the radiator.
The hybrid cooler's fans are fighting against the 3 intakes. Flip them around so that they're actually pulling air through the radiator and into the chassis, thus actually giving the gpu some air.
I see that the fans aren't the same either...

2)Flip the gpu back to horizontal. Vertical orientation with axial fan cooled gpus sees a larger volume of the gpu's exhaust circulating back into its cooler, because most chassis don't have bottom exhaust.
If the vertical orientation is a must for some...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
RAM cooler could be one option. Another could be taking a case fan and ghettoing it in place to cool RAM. Third, don't have a sidepanel of glass, don't have GPU lying on the side.

I wouldn't use top as intake ever. You are going against the natural movement of air, which is: Heat travels upwards. So you would be blowing that hot air back in the case. Yay...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As you currently have it - according to the image - it's almost entirely exhaust = no good.
1)You said that you have 3 intakes - not clearly visible in the image - on the other side of that radiator...
You've created a dead zone at the radiator.
The hybrid cooler's fans are fighting against the 3 intakes. Flip them around so that they're actually pulling air through the radiator and into the chassis, thus actually giving the gpu some air.
I see that the fans aren't the same either...

2)Flip the gpu back to horizontal. Vertical orientation with axial fan cooled gpus sees a larger volume of the gpu's exhaust circulating back into its cooler, because most chassis don't have bottom exhaust.
If the vertical orientation is a must for some reason... you'll just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Solution

Owterspace

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
I agree. You don't have any case flow at all. Move air front to back. Reason for good case flow is not just for the CPU, GPU puts out a lot more heat. Get some cool air in that thing and your system will thank you.