Niels321

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Hello people,

I recently built a pc (about 2 weeks back)
But now the GPU is buzzing when I am playing games.
GPU that I use: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G
It starts buzzing just after the loading screen and stops in about 20 seconds after I close a game.
Is this bad for my gpu and can I do anything about it?

Solution
It is known as coil whine, and is quite common at high FPS.

Nothing really wrong with it. If you can track down which coil is doing it, a small glob of silicone (caulk, sealant, mastic, etc) can muffle it. (The coils will likely appear as solid grey blocks) They vibrate at sometimes audible frequencies.

Best way to locate it is a with a wooden pencil, kebob stick, or wooden dowel. You can poke at the exposed components and see if any of them are causing it by feeling the vibrations directly, or putting your ear to it. Otherwise it means taking the card apart and trying to add some buffer to slow down the oscillations.

If it is really loud though, you might consider informing the GPU maker and potentially getting a replacement card...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is known as coil whine, and is quite common at high FPS.

Nothing really wrong with it. If you can track down which coil is doing it, a small glob of silicone (caulk, sealant, mastic, etc) can muffle it. (The coils will likely appear as solid grey blocks) They vibrate at sometimes audible frequencies.

Best way to locate it is a with a wooden pencil, kebob stick, or wooden dowel. You can poke at the exposed components and see if any of them are causing it by feeling the vibrations directly, or putting your ear to it. Otherwise it means taking the card apart and trying to add some buffer to slow down the oscillations.

If it is really loud though, you might consider informing the GPU maker and potentially getting a replacement card.

Mine sounds like a tiny motorcycle or small growling creature sometimes. But I can't hear it over my headphones even at low volume.

Solution

Niels321

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Dose this happens in every game?
Try it in a demanding game where you get about 60 fps
This could be the coils if your fps is high
What is the rest of your setup?
If try this on a game where I get a average of 60 fps I don't get this sound.

The rest of my setup is:
asus prime b360m k motherboard
Intel core i5 9600K
500 gb ssd
2 tb hdd
16 gb ddr4 ram
550 watt psu

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
If try this on a game where I get a average of 60 fps I don't get this sound.

The rest of my setup is:
asus prime b360m k motherboard
Intel core i5 9600K
500 gb ssd
2 tb hdd
16 gb ddr4 ram
550 watt psu

Well then as Eximo said that is coil wine and It is normal
The close of it is the high fps output which makes the card buzz
You can try and rma the card if it is really annoying to you but you have nothing to worry about, the card is fine