[SOLVED] GPU causes PC to not boot. Can the GPU be fixed?

mattde

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
I've been using an RX 580 GPU with my PC for nearly two years without any problems, until today when my PC couldn't boot (it wasn't making any beep sounds) but all the fans including the GPU fans were spinning. After checking the cables and reconnecting everything I found out that my GPU was causing this problem. I connected an older graphics card to my PC and it booted and worked fine. Interestingly my PC boots and works if I connect both the RX 580 (with the fans working) and the older GPU to the motherboard and the PSU. The monitor works with the old GPU, however if I connect the monitor cable to the RX 580 the screen turns black.

I'd like to know what caused my RX 580 to create such a problem to my PC and if it can be fixed. I haven't tested to see if the RX 580 works on another machine as I don't have one available at the moment.

Specs
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Radeon RX 580
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3
PSU: CX750M

Solution
Could easily be that the GPU just had a heart attack and died. Does it do that with all cable types (DVI, HDMI, DP)? Basically, if the older one works but your 580 doesn't...things go bad, unfortunately.

One other thing to perhaps try is putting the 580 into the port that you're putting the older one in to see if it works in that port....that way, you can also eliminate the PCI-E slot having gone bad.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Could easily be that the GPU just had a heart attack and died. Does it do that with all cable types (DVI, HDMI, DP)? Basically, if the older one works but your 580 doesn't...things go bad, unfortunately.

One other thing to perhaps try is putting the 580 into the port that you're putting the older one in to see if it works in that port....that way, you can also eliminate the PCI-E slot having gone bad.

Solution