[SOLVED] GPU causes power cycling?

Nov 4, 2020
System specs:
Corsair vs450
samsung b75s1 mobo
xeon e3-1270
rx 570
2x4 kingston ddr3 ram

Okay so one night my pc's display turned off and even if the display is turned off, the system is still running so what I did was restart the system, but after restarting, it no longer posts

I resetted the cmos and got it to boot and it worked. ran all the tests I need and it did not show any problems. I did ram test,gpu,cpu stress test. But right after I turned off the pc, it wont boot again. and up until today, it still does not work.

Things I have done:
tried different PSU
I bought a new gpu (r5 230). still no display. dont really know if the one i bought is DOA
right now I bought a celeron g530 and it boot right up using the iGPU

Now, when I plug the RX 570, it will cause a power cycle.
When plugging the r5 230 in, pc no display.

dont know if my pcie slot is defective or the gpus are shot?

please shed some light on possible causes.

Solution
its some korean 600w PSU that I have used before using the corsair PSU
So, quite possibly not much more confidence-inspiring under non-trivial load. You need a known-good decent quality PSU (ex.: 2017 Corsair CX550/650W) to positively rule out PSU as a suspect for your RX570 boot-looping issue. You may also want to try the R5-230 in a different system to see if you may indeed have gotten a DOA.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When in doubt, point fingers at the power supply.

Could be the PCIe slot/motherboard, but that is a rather involved test. But since you already have a spare CPU, might as well pick up a cheap motherboard and see if that helps.

Or take a good look at the power supply.

Nov 4, 2020
When in doubt, point fingers at the power supply.

Could be the PCIe slot/motherboard, but that is a rather involved test. But since you already have a spare CPU, might as well pick up a cheap motherboard and see if that helps.

Or take a good look at the power supply.
yes i forgot to add in my post that I have tried another working PSU and the issue still remains that inserting the RX 570 causes power cycles

InvalidError

Titan
its some korean 600w PSU that I have used before using the corsair PSU
So, quite possibly not much more confidence-inspiring under non-trivial load. You need a known-good decent quality PSU (ex.: 2017 Corsair CX550/650W) to positively rule out PSU as a suspect for your RX570 boot-looping issue. You may also want to try the R5-230 in a different system to see if you may indeed have gotten a DOA.

Reactions: WRRN
Solution
Nov 4, 2020
yea. these are probably the last test that could possibly show what is defective.

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it :)