Question GPU Causing computer to freeze

Sep 26, 2020
Hello,

I recently swapped my PC case, as well as my motherboard because I was having issues with the last one. I got the NZXT H510, and here are the rest of my specs:
CPU: i7 8700k
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
RAM: Ballistix 2x8 DDR4 2400
Motherboard: MSI Z390 A-Pro
PSU: Corsair CX 650M

I never had issues on my last motherboard, but unfortunately during the new case swap install process I bent a pin which I believe caused it to have boot issues, so I swapped for a different one and it worked right out the gate.

Come one day later while gaming, my whole PC froze up and I had to force restart. I assumed it was some sort of driver issue, but I did notice the white light on my motherboard lit up the VGA slot (note: it lights up ONLY during boot and then the light turns off). I tried doing a total clean install of my GPU drivers, and that seemed to work for a while, but recently it froze my computer again while I had a card game on in the background. So far, my PC has frozen only in conditions when I had a game open.

Overheating is very unlikely the issue as I monitored the temperatures a few times when it crashed and they seemed very normal. This 1660 is also only about 4 months old and i've never had an issue with it until now, so I'm a bit lost for what the issue could be all of the sudden.

I did read that it might be a PSU issue, but i'm still lost for why swapping motherboards would suddenly cause this issue? Any and all help is much appreciated

ASK THE COMMUNITY