[SOLVED] GPU causing display to go black, computer still running

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
[GTX 1080, G1 Gaming Windforce edition]

Around 5 days ago when I was playing modern warfare my screen went black, but my computer was still running. I know this because if I pushed the play button in me keyboard I heard music.

Sometimes I will by able to log in to windows without the display going black, sometimes the display will go black on the windows log in screen, sometimes the display goes black when I open any GPU intensive app/game (GPU stress test, Modern Warfare)

I narrowed it down to being my GPU/GPU drivers since if I uninstall the drivers the computer works fine, right now im writing this with my GPU removed from my computer.

Here is a list of what Ive tried so far

-Used DDU to uninstall drivers, and installed the newest NVIDIA drivers, used express installation didint work. Did the same but this time did custom install and did a clean install while only installing the driver and the physx.
-Did the same thing with DDU and uninstalled current drivers, but this time installed 1 month old drivers, when this didnt work I repeated the proccess and installed 4 month old drivers. None of these worked, computer still crashes
-After this I reseated my GPU to the second slot and used compressed air to clean the slots and GPU dust. This worked for like 5 minutes but the display went black after a while.
-I thought maybe my GPU was dead so I took it to a friends house and tested my GPU in his system. The GPU worked fine in his computer and I was able to play Witcher 3 on ultra with 60fps, display didnt turn off at any point.
-Finally I said this has to be a windows error so I did a factory reset to my PC but kept my files. This didnt work either...

I am completely desperate and dont know what to do since ive seemingly tried everything. I feel like I want to cry this is sooo stressful. The last thing im thinking is maybe I should replace my PSU? (500w) but im not sure if thats the issue and dont want to shell out 100 bucks for something thats not the solution.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Any help would be extremely appreciated, I am desperate.

Sorry for any misspells, im too lazy to check lol

Solution
Hey so update for anyone in the future having a similar problem.

After doing a factory reset, using DDU and installing 4 different drivers (old and new), reseating the GPU, buying a new PSU, and doing almost anything I could think of, I almost gave up.

I have braided white cable extensions for the MB,CPU,GPU etc (so my computer looks sexier), and I decided maybe the GPU cable was malfunctioning, so I decided to connect the PSU cable directly into the GPU, removing the extension. All of the sudden, I run a GPU stress test and my computer works again! I also downloaded the newest nvidia drivers that came out like 2 days ago so that could have also been the fix, im not sure.

TLDR: Removed PCIe extensions and plugged PSU PCIe directly...
[GTX 1080, G1 Gaming Windforce edition]

Around 5 days ago when I was playing modern warfare my screen went black, but my computer was still running. I know this because if I pushed the play button in me keyboard I heard music.

Sometimes I will by able to log in to windows without the display going black, sometimes the display will go black on the windows log in screen, sometimes the display goes black when I open any GPU intensive app/game (GPU stress test, Modern Warfare)

I narrowed it down to being my GPU/GPU drivers since if I uninstall the drivers the computer works fine, right now im writing this with my GPU removed from my computer.

Here is a list of what Ive tried so far

-Used DDU to uninstall drivers, and installed the newest NVIDIA drivers, used express installation didint work. Did the same but this time did custom install and did a clean install while only installing the driver and the physx.
-Did the same thing with DDU and uninstalled current drivers, but this time installed 1 month old drivers, when this didnt work I repeated the proccess and installed 4 month old drivers. None of these worked, computer still crashes
-After this I reseated my GPU to the second slot and used compressed air to clean the slots and GPU dust. This worked for like 5 minutes but the display went black after a while.
-I thought maybe my GPU was dead so I took it to a friends house and tested my GPU in his system. The GPU worked fine in his computer and I was able to play Witcher 3 on ultra with 60fps, display didnt turn off at any point.
-Finally I said this has to be a windows error so I did a factory reset to my PC but kept my files. This didnt work either...

I am completely desperate and dont know what to do since ive seemingly tried everything. I feel like I want to cry this is sooo stressful. The last thing im thinking is maybe I should replace my PSU? (500w) but im not sure if thats the issue and dont want to shell out 100 bucks for something thats not the solution.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Any help would be extremely appreciated, I am desperate.

Sorry for any misspells, im too lazy to check lol
Whats your system specs? Like linus said the new systems the recommend psu isn't really the recommended it's the minimal requirements you want for the system.

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
Please post your full system specs, including make/model of the PSU.

GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Windforce
Intel 8700k (Kraken X water cooler)
16GB DDR4 RAM
MSI B360 motherboard
250 GB Samsun SSD
2TB HDD
EVGA 500w (Silver?) Power Supply 80plus

But I also have a <Mod Edit> ton of peripherals connected to my PC so I dont know if that matters or not
I dont know if this matters but ive used this PSU for the last 3 years with no problem.
Btw thanks for helping

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
Whats your system specs? Like linus said the new systems the recommend psu isn't really the recommended it's the minimal requirements you want for the system.
GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Windforce
Intel 8700k (Kraken X water cooler)
16GB DDR4 RAM
MSI B360 motherboard
250 GB Samsun SSD
2TB HDD
EVGA 500w (Silver?) Power Supply 80plus

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With a clean OS install & drivers fully removed/reinstalled, you're very likely to be looking at a hardware issue.
Given it's more likely to occur when something GPU intensive happens, a GPU or PSU would be logical starting points.

Of the specs listed, the 500W EVGA unit would be the more likely culprit, IMO.
It's a budget unit, and I would never recommend running a 1080 from it.... Especially true after a couple of years of use.

What PSU is your friend using, where you could run without issues?

You could try lowering the power limit for the GPU within MSI Afterburner or similar, to something drastic - say 50% power limit. See if the issue persists. If not, increase the limit (55%, 60% etc) and see how things respond.

Oct 29, 2020
This happens to me when i run furmark on my Sapphire RX 580 8GB which was actually overheating recently it was fixed by changing all the thermal pads and thermal paste, do you monitor the temps or gpu clock speed while gaming?

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
With a clean OS install & drivers fully removed/reinstalled, you're very likely to be looking at a hardware issue.
Given it's more likely to occur when something GPU intensive happens, a GPU or PSU would be logical starting points.

It's a budget unit, and I would never recommend running a 1080 from it.... Especially true after a couple of years of use.

You could try lowering the power limit for the GPU within MSI Afterburner or similar, to something drastic - say 50% power limit. See if the issue persists. If not, increase the limit (55%, 60% etc) and see how things respond.
Man I think you figured it out!! How was I so blind. Today I will lower the power limit using CAM (great idea btw) and will let you know if it is the PSU. If it is the PSU which one do you recommend I buy? I eventually want to upgrade by GPU to something more beefy, will a 750w PSU be enough for an upgrade?

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I have been desperate these last couple of days.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What PSU was your friend running, out of curiosi
If it is the PSU which one do you recommend I buy? I eventually want to upgrade by GPU to something more beefy, will a 750w PSU be enough for an upgrade?

Really depends on what 'tier' of upgrade you're likely to consider - and how realistic you're being with the upgrade.

Ie. I wouldn't necessarily spend more to make sure you're equipped for a 3080/3090, if it's extremely unlikely you'll ever upgrade to one.

For most users, a quality 550-650W should be plenty - with RTX3080 and 3090, potentially 'Big Navi' too, we're seeing a bump in power requirements for the first time in quite a few years. I'd expect there will be efficiency improvements for the next few releases, bringing us back down to 550-650W being the 'norm'.

750W gives you some solid headroom for most eventualities though, and to be safe, I'd lean that way.

I'm not sure what's happened with PSU pricing over the last couple of days - they've been trending upwards for a while, for obvious reasons.... but there looks to have been a recent 'spike'.

PCPartPicker appears to be broken today, so it's not quite as easy to verify pricing, but some options:
Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Focus/Focus+, SuperFlower Leadex III, EVGA G3 are all quality options and appear to be between $120-$150 today.... Sanity check though, as some of them you might be able to squeeze an 850W unit out of for very similar money.

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
What PSU was your friend running, out of curiosi

Really depends on what 'tier' of upgrade you're likely to consider - and how realistic you're being with the upgrade.

Ie. I wouldn't necessarily spend more to make sure you're equipped for a 3080/3090, if it's extremely unlikely you'll ever upgrade to one.

For most users, a quality 550-650W should be plenty - with RTX3080 and 3090, potentially 'Big Navi' too, we're seeing a bump in power requirements for the first time in quite a few years. I'd expect there will be efficiency improvements for the next few releases, bringing us back down to 550-650W being the 'norm'.

750W gives you some solid headroom for most eventualities though, and to be safe, I'd lean that way.

I'm not sure what's happened with PSU pricing over the last couple of days - they've been trending upwards for a while, for obvious reasons.... but there looks to have been a recent 'spike'.

PCPartPicker appears to be broken today, so it's not quite as easy to verify pricing, but some options:
Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Focus/Focus+, SuperFlower Leadex III, EVGA G3 are all quality options and appear to be between $120-$150 today.... Sanity check though, as some of them you might be able to squeeze an 850W unit out of for very similar money.
Cool thanks man I got the 750w corsair one. Thanks for all the help, ill let you know on monday when the PSU gets here if it fixes it. (BTW im not looking forward to having to do cable management lol)

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017

Hey so my 750w PSU got here, I put it into my PC, tried again... and it still does not work. I have literally tried everything at this point and don't know what to do. Please help

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
Did the GPU work downclocking?
It became a little more stable I think... But it still crashed when I opened GPU stress test of Modern Warfare. Also I told you I had a 500w PSU but forgot I replaced it about a year ago with a gold efficiency 650w PSU. Sooo yea my bad, now I have a 750w psu I dont need and I dont know what to do with it.

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
What 650W PSU did you buy previously?

Unfortunately, if downclocking didn't bring full stability (assuming a heavy downclock, like I suggested), the problem is likely to be a failing GPU...
Thats sad... My 650w PSU is EVGA 650 G3, but still I tried it with the new 750 and it still doesnt work.. How can I be sure that my GPU has failed? I have had it for 3 years and taken good care of it, my temps were usually around 80 and never passed 85. What do you recommend I do if thats the case?

mrmcartur

Reputable
Sep 3, 2017
Hey so update for anyone in the future having a similar problem.

After doing a factory reset, using DDU and installing 4 different drivers (old and new), reseating the GPU, buying a new PSU, and doing almost anything I could think of, I almost gave up.

I have braided white cable extensions for the MB,CPU,GPU etc (so my computer looks sexier), and I decided maybe the GPU cable was malfunctioning, so I decided to connect the PSU cable directly into the GPU, removing the extension. All of the sudden, I run a GPU stress test and my computer works again! I also downloaded the newest nvidia drivers that came out like 2 days ago so that could have also been the fix, im not sure.

TLDR: Removed PCIe extensions and plugged PSU PCIe directly into my GPU. I also updated to the newest nvidia drivers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS