[SOLVED] GPU causing random reboots ?

Nov 26, 2021
Hello,

I recently put together a pc that is having issues whenever I put stress on the GPU. Almost immediately after launching FurMark or GTAV the reboot happens.
Here is my build.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RT7BsX

I have done some troubleshooting but I am at a loss as to why the random resets continue to occur.

Recently I replaced the RAM with the current 16gb of SP RAM. I switched back to the original 8gb of RAM with no change.
I swapped the GPU to a known good pc and the GPU performed fine in FurMark. I then thought the PSU was overloaded due to the three HDD's. I unplugged all three and tried FurMark again and it still crashed. I've also monitored temps on GPU-Z and I haven't seen the GPU exceed 40 degrees C. Installed the latest Nvidia drivers as well. The only thing I can think of is the PSU is faulty? All of these parts are less than six months old.

Update: The issue seems to be the driver. If I reinstall the driver FurMark and GTAV run flawlessly. Once I reboot the issue comes back again. Any advice?

Last edited:
Solution
EVGA BQ is poor quality PSU and when looking your parts list, PSU is 2nd cheapest component (peripherals excluded).

PSU is the most important component in the PC, since it powers everything and why on world would you cheap out on that?

My suggestion; try with good quality PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus GX-550.

(In my Skylake build, PSU is 5th most expensive component, only surpassed by CPU, GPU and two SSDs. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA BQ is poor quality PSU and when looking your parts list, PSU is 2nd cheapest component (peripherals excluded).

PSU is the most important component in the PC, since it powers everything and why on world would you cheap out on that?

(In my Skylake build, PSU is 5th most expensive component, only surpassed by CPU, GPU and two SSDs. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Reactions: CompmanSteve
Solution
Nov 26, 2021

Yeah I was trying to keep the build under a certain $ amount hence the crappy psu. I have a good feeling that the psu is the culprit here. Im going see if I can find a good deal on a better psu and see if that resolves this issue. Thank you for the help.

Reactions: Aeacus