[SOLVED] GPU Choice Dillemma

simab88

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
My RX 480 recently died, I have a choice between two cards:

1. Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (8GB)
2. ASUS Dual RX 580 (8GB)

<Nitro+ & ROG Strix variants are unavailable, hence I'm limited to these two choices>

Another alternative is to wait for the Nvidia RTX 2060. Based on the situation at hand, what should I do?

Solution
If you wait for the 2060, you might be waiting a while.

What country are you in or which of the country options on PC Partpicker is most relevant to your location?

Personally, while I think ASUS in general makes high quality products and I tend to favor their motherboards over other brands, I always tend to go with Sapphire over other AMD card board partners. I've never personally had any issues with any Sapphire graphics cards, HOWEVER several members of the moderation team here have recently had issues with both ASUS and Sapphire RX580 cards, as have recently an unusual number of members had card failures with RX580's in general.

IDK what's up with that, maybe a bad batch of boards, but it might actually be to your benefit to look...
If you wait for the 2060, you might be waiting a while.

What country are you in or which of the country options on PC Partpicker is most relevant to your location?

Personally, while I think ASUS in general makes high quality products and I tend to favor their motherboards over other brands, I always tend to go with Sapphire over other AMD card board partners. I've never personally had any issues with any Sapphire graphics cards, HOWEVER several members of the moderation team here have recently had issues with both ASUS and Sapphire RX580 cards, as have recently an unusual number of members had card failures with RX580's in general.

IDK what's up with that, maybe a bad batch of boards, but it might actually be to your benefit to look at other card model choices.

Solution

simab88

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013

I'm based in Pakistan and thanks to the new year, choices are limited. The motherboard I use is a Asus Maximus 8 Hero. Which RX 580 card make would pair well with this?

I'd go with the Sapphire card if I had to choose between those two models. That card or maybe one of the higher end Sapphire 8GB models, or one of the MSI 8GB Armor models would probably be my choice if I was going with an RX 580. The MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB is a good card. But that Pulse should be fine too.

simab88

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013

Ok, here's another dilemma, the Sapphire has been imported from Dubai and comes with a 1 year warranty, the Asus was imported from the states and the official distributor is giving it with a 2 year warranty, now the problem with the Dubai imports are that warranty replacement is a major major headache. Based on this situation, what would you recommend?

Warranty replacements from the US are probably even MORE of a headache. I think there are likely MUCH bigger shipping costs (Yes, you have to pay shipping usually for just about ANY RMA, and then they pay shipping back to you) plus being so far away, they probably WON'T pay the return shipping. I think I'd look for a card from a company like maybe Zotac that might have manufacturing or warranty facilities closer to you, or just deal with the headache of whatever is involved with a Dubai situation. Only one year is pretty crappy though.

IDK if places like Flipkart and Snapdeal are options for you, but you might look there as well.

simab88

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
@darkbreeze: Flipkart doesn't sell to Pakistan, they are Indian and cater to the local Indian market only, it'd be epic if they did. Will check snapdeal if I can. Thanks anyway!