Question GPU claiming to be drawing insane amount of power

Dec 1, 2020
Hello, Randomly yesterday when I was trying to game I noticed my frames were as low as 20 in games i normally push over 200. A quick check on MSI Afterburner showed that my GPU clock speed would not go above 300 under any circumstances, even after playing with the sliders. I opened up GPU-z and in the attached image View: https://imgur.com/a/CmKXjoD
u can see the sensor ratings while the PC is IDLE showing an insane power draw that i cannot seem to fix. I tried switching out the pcie cord, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling windows, checking NVIDA settings for power etc. to no avail. My main question is if there is anything else i can do to try to fix this before I try a RMA. its the holiday season and I would rather not have to deal with that rn. The graphics card is an EVGA 2070 super that I bought back in august. I am not that tech savvy so i did as much as i could find manually online. hoping someone can give me some advice or guidance. thank you in advance. s

FULL PC SPECS:
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 Watt
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER BLACK GAMING
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Go ahead and start the RMA process.

You might try flashing the BIOS, but that could risk bricking it as well.

Only other thing would be a damaged shunt or resistor next to it which would require some soldering...

Dec 1, 2020
How could it be drawing that much and yet remain at relatively normal operating temps ? Sensors are shot/defective ?
i figure it is not actually drawing that much "which is why i put "claiming" in the title" as it would probably explode lol. But i think that the GPU thinks its receiving that and downclocking itself. therefore i cant get it to go higher.

Reactions: spacejunk

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
i figure it is not actually drawing that much "which is why i put "claiming" in the title" as it would probably explode lol. But i think that the GPU thinks its receiving that and downclocking itself. therefore i cant get it to go higher.
That is very bizarre. I hope it's still under warranty lol.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS