GPU clock changing around randomly

hockles

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Ok so here's my problem. I have the ATI 4890. In catalyst control center my gpu clock is clocked at 870mhz which it should be at. However at the bottom of the list it has the current GPU clock and the gpu clock jumps from 240hz-500hz-870hz

I have no idea what the problem is. My idiot friend installed 32 bit vista which i'm going to switch out for w7 64bit because i have 4 gb ram. Thanks to anyone who can post insight. I will respond undoubtedly seeing as i have nowhere to be today.

hockles

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Usually I would have said that it was a normal power saving feature. However that would only be if the change onl happened between desktop and running a 3d application or at least one that utilised gpu acceleration.

If it is randomly jumping about does it do the same thing using something like gpu-z?

If not then it could just be that the catalyst needs reinstalled or another version shoud be tried.

Well you see, i realise that while idling its supposed to be lower than usualy but i get very bad fps while playing games.
The two games i tried were:
Crysis
Farcry 2

Which i should be more than able to run on high settings.

Here are my specs
Windows 7 64 bit
X58 EVGA motherboard
Sapphire i gb HD 4890 GDDR5
I7 920 2.66ghz CPU
4GB Ripjaw G-skill ram
900w Apevia Warlock power supply
Thermaltake v9 case
24 inch samsung monitor

Basically just a really high end gaming rig, however i can only run it on low/medium settings without lag.
I've installed the latest drivers too. I'm not sure if i did something wrong or if it's just a faulty card.
Also i've tested both games on 32 bit vista and 64 bit w7