[SOLVED] GPU Clock Dropping along with GPU Power causing FPS drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2020
So basically recently I bought a second hand GPU(ASUS RX 580 8GB DUAL FAN) and second hand PSU(500w some korean company called NewZen), and noticed that I've been getting massive FPS drops in games.
Previously I had a 1050ti 4gb, which was also a second hand one and I had no fps drops with it, the PSU was different too a 400W one and it was new. So had to switch to a 500W because of the cables so went for a cheap option to buy a second hand 500W PSU.
Thought it was my old 16mb cache hard drive so I changed it to a new seagate hard drive, got less fps drops but it was still there.
I just wanted to know if im experiencing the fps drops because of the GPU or the PSU so I can replace. I'll post down a benchmark for Far Cry 5 and MSI Afterburner monitoring graphs below. You can notice the GPU Power drops significantly when the FPS drops occurs along with the GPU clock speed.
p.s temperatures are fine, i know many will say its because of the temperatures and the clock speed drops to cool it down, but you can check the graphs the temps are fine.

Also I want to know if the GPU power dropping during gameplay like that is normal or not, because it drops from 150w to 5.7w when the fps drops.

Specs:
i3-8100 3.60 GHz (new)
H310M S2P 2.0 (new)
8GB Ram (new)
Seagate Baracuda ST1000M010 1TB (new, where game/windows is installed)
Seagate ST500DM002 (16mb chache one, old)
ASUS RX 580 8GB Dual Fan (second hand)
NewZen 500W PSU (old, second hand)

Benchmark:
View: https://youtu.be/pt6dC6efpLg

Graphs: View: https://i.imgur.com/hhd9qa0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
And no I'm using a single chip 8gb ram because I had planned to use dual 8+8 gb ram in the future.
1st(?) mistake: trying to game in a single channel config at all with the plan to add another module in the future.
This doesn't look as bad when the cpu is already strong, but your current 8100 is already limited with only 4 available threads with a max speed of 3.6ghz. Running single channel with an already weak cpu will only further emphasize the cpu limitation.
Then there's the gamble that is adding/mixing ram; it's very hit and miss. When you lose the dice roll, you lose more time and money.
That even applies when you purchase 'the same stick'. They're only the same when packaged together.
Even should you successfully add...
So basically recently I bought a second hand GPU(ASUS RX 580 8GB DUAL FAN) and second hand PSU(500w some korean company called NewZen), and noticed that I've been getting massive FPS drops in games.
Previously I had a 1050ti 4gb, which was also a second hand one and I had no fps drops with it, the PSU was different too a 400W one and it was new. So had to switch to a 500W because of the cables so went for a cheap option to buy a second hand 500W PSU.
Thought it was my old 16mb cache hard drive so I changed it to a new seagate hard drive, got less fps drops but it was still there.
I just wanted to know if im experiencing the fps drops because of the GPU or the PSU so I can replace. I'll post down a benchmark for Far Cry 5 and MSI Afterburner monitoring graphs below. You can notice the GPU Power drops significantly when the FPS drops occurs along with the GPU clock speed.
p.s temperatures are fine, i know many will say its because of the temperatures and the clock speed drops to cool it down, but you can check the graphs the temps are fine.

Also I want to know if the GPU power dropping during gameplay like that is normal or not, because it drops from 150w to 5.7w when the fps drops.

Specs:
i3-8100 3.60 GHz (new)
H310M S2P 2.0 (new)
8GB Ram (new)
Seagate Baracuda ST1000M010 1TB (new, where game/windows is installed)
Seagate ST500DM002 (16mb chache one, old)
ASUS RX 580 8GB Dual Fan (second hand)
NewZen 500W PSU (old, second hand)

Benchmark:
View: https://youtu.be/pt6dC6efpLg

Graphs: View: https://i.imgur.com/hhd9qa0.png

500W is low for an RX580 plus your PSU brand is very bad and on top of that you got it used second hand. I wouldn't take it even for free. An old low quality PSU will output much lower wattage than its advertised, so your "500W" might well be under 400W now.

Better off changing you PSU now or you might fry expensive components.
Why would you "upgrade" to a low quality 500W PSU from a 400W PSU?

Jan 3, 2020
Can you take a screenshot of the whole psu label and post it here?

The frametimes are terrible. Are you at least running dual channel memory?
PSU label: View: https://imgur.com/2wpHYCB.png

And no I'm using a single chip 8gb ram because I had planned to use dual 8+8 gb ram in the future.

500W is low for an RX580 plus your PSU brand is very bad and on top of that you got it used second hand. I wouldn't take it even for free. An old low quality PSU will output much lower wattage than its advertised, so your "500W" might well be under 400W now.

Better off changing you PSU now or you might fry expensive components.
Why would you "upgrade" to a low quality 500W PSU from a 400W PSU?

That's what I feared, so the problem only persists on the psu and the gpu is fine?
Well the 400W psu didn't have an 8 pin power connector that's why I went for it.

PSU label: View: https://imgur.com/2wpHYCB.png

That's what I feared, so the problem only persists on the psu and the gpu is fine?
Well the 400W psu didn't have an 8 pin power connector that's why I went for it.

Yes, the GPU is dropping its power because the PSU is unable to provide enough power.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1st(?) mistake: trying to game in a single channel config at all with the plan to add another module in the future.
This doesn't look as bad when the cpu is already strong, but your current 8100 is already limited with only 4 available threads with a max speed of 3.6ghz. Running single channel with an already weak cpu will only further emphasize the cpu limitation.
Then there's the gamble that is adding/mixing ram; it's very hit and miss. When you lose the dice roll, you lose more time and money.
That even applies when you purchase 'the same stick'. They're only the same when packaged together.
Even should you successfully add another stick, I feel it wouldn't change much due to the cpu. Running a 4 thread cpu for games is a shot in the foot now.

2nd is the choice of power supply.
A simple way to put it: you're trying to run a mid range gpu on a psu intended for a home/office PC. It just doesn't work in the long run.
The 2 occupations are completely different in the levels of power drawn and the 'muscle' needed to maintain those workloads over extended periods.
Home/office: steady, low power loads, that are a walk in the park for just about any power supply to deal with.
Gaming: turbulent highs and lows that will quickly exhaust cheap units. A robust psu is necessary.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.