Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz x4
Gigabyte H87-HD3
8 GB ram
Windows 10 Pro
Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz

Screen Technology: GSYNC+VSYNC at 120 fps
Power Plan: High Performance

Game: Ragnarok Online (uses only 1 CPU core, 60% usage in average)

Hey,
so usually I play this game at the 120 fps and the fps already dips when there is "a lot" going on the screen, but thats not my primary problem at this point.
Sometimes it happens that the GPU clock drops from 1024 MHz to ~ 800 MHz while the GPU usage rises from 45% to 80%. I also noticed that the GPU clock dip occurs at the same time the general fan-noise gets louder (whatever that might imply).
The GPU clock dipping does not always occur and I can't pinpoint on what the trigger may be. Also when, for example I use ctrl+alt+del and switch back, it normalizes itself for a brief moment. Mostly restarting fixes the problem, but thats also not always the case.
• Temperatures of the used CPU stays around 40 °C while the GPU stays around 50 °C
• freshly installed OS and , more than once, cleanly wiped any driver traces with DDU while trying a plethora of different drivers
• recently run benchmarked did not indicate any system problems
• not playing any other games to be able to compare

I'm pretty much at a loss of ideas at this point, and am only throwing this out there that the sheer impossible might happen.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
sounds like the gpu is overheating. Make sure the video card cooler is clean, the fan is spinning, and your case has good air flow. try to modify the fan profile so they spin faster and see if the clocks still drop like a rock.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
As I stated, the GPU stays at 50 °C and even drops to 40 °C when the GPU clock drop happens.

Your northbridge may be overheating. Take off the side panel of your case and point a fan at your motherboard. Use HWmonitor to monitor chipset temperature.
It would be best to change the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU also. IF your case is dusty, clean it. If it is your northbridge you need to invest in some better airflow for your case.

TRENDING THREADS