[SOLVED] GPU clock speed problem

Jun 19, 2021
Hello everyone. Ive been facing a problem for quite some times now and I havent found a solution, so I came here for the first time and I hope ill find my solution :)
I have an msi laptop, gl65 9se. I7 9750h, 24g ram, 128ssd+ 1t hdd , intel uhd 630 and an RTX 2060.
The i7 9750h is one of those cpu's that run extremely hot and even tho It never gave me performance problems, I hated that so I had a friend replace my thermal paste and undervolt it. Thing is, his undervolt was very unstable so we undid it by deleting throttlestop and even uninstalled windows.
Problem is ever since, my gpu wont go full clock speed anymore. I used to, when playing games like COD warzone and cold war, see my gpu clock speed constantly at max speed (1850mhz) now it doesnt reach that, always fluctuating at 1750-1760-1770-1720 if you see the pattern.
Some games it woudnt even reach max like assasins creed Valhalla, at Ultra setting the GPU wont go past 1600mhz. This was never ever a problem before, it used to always max out on games.
Another problem also apeared is, the gpu at idle sometimes goes 350mhz. It used to always be full idle mode when not playing before, making its temp 30-33 at idle. Now its always on 40 on idle because sometimes I catch it working.
Anyone got any idea what and where the problem comes from?

Solution
Thank you for your answer my friend.
Can you explain more? How do the connextion worsen between the gpu and heatsink? Mal placement or faulty thermal paste? If you could please explain to me so Id know how to get it fixed :)

Either or both, lappies are known to be hot and their proprietary heatsinks aren't the fanciest, so proper seating and pasting could prove tricky, which sounds to be case here as you gpu seem to be throttling, plus u said it was 33 idle, now 40.

Plus I don't think you can mess with the gpu clocks or vcore on bios, often you can undervolt a little tad without problems at all, get more cooling and more performance, but then again, someone more experienced than me in lappies may tell if you could use MSI...
Jun 19, 2021
Sounds a lot like your friend did well on the cpu but maybe worsened the connection between your gpu and the heatsink. That's exactly what it sounds like.
Can you explain more? How do the connextion worsen between the gpu and heatsink? Mal placement or faulty thermal paste? If you could please explain to me so Id know how to get it fixed :)

Either or both, lappies are known to be hot and their proprietary heatsinks aren't the fanciest, so proper seating and pasting could prove tricky, which sounds to be case here as you gpu seem to be throttling, plus u said it was 33 idle, now 40.

Plus I don't think you can mess with the gpu clocks or vcore on bios, often you can undervolt a little tad without problems at all, get more cooling and more performance, but then again, someone more experienced than me in lappies may tell if you could use MSI afterburner to tweak your gpu, monitor its Temps and throttling, and maybe undervolt a little bit.

Solution
Jun 19, 2021

Plus I don't think you can mess with the gpu clocks or vcore on bios, often you can undervolt a little tad without problems at all, get more cooling and more performance, but then again, someone more experienced than me in lappies may tell if you could use MSI afterburner to tweak your gpu, monitor its Temps and throttling, and maybe undervolt a little bit.
Thanks for the answer. Ill try to get this thing repasted then and see if the problem goes away. I hope it does.

Jun 23, 2021
The following would be a good idea:

Global Wattman may conflict with any overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner, etc.

To uninstall AMD Radeon Drivers, reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Reboot your computer to Normal Mode

Install AMD Radeon Drivers

Reboot and test.

Jun 19, 2021
The following would be a good idea:

Global Wattman may conflict with any overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner, etc.

To uninstall AMD Radeon Drivers, reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

Reboot your computer to Normal Mode

Install AMD Radeon Drivers

Reboot and test.
Amd drivers? I dont have amd at all in this laptop lol

Jun 26, 2021
So is the Gpu actually getting super hot under load or no? Because it seems to be throttling but you should still be able to see the temp of the GPU no matter what level the heat sink is thermally interfaced with it. Unless the sensor is located on the actual heatsink and not the board which I didn't think was a thing. Because I don't see how it would be thermally throttling unless its actually hitting a certain temp, which may be that temperature got changed somehow but I would think your GPU isnt gunna to be hitting 90 or 84 or whatever the limit maybe without you knowing it as long as your monitoring that is. I'm not familiar with that laptop but have you checked what your windows power settings are at? Maybe it's kicking you into the silent mode or the battery saver mode for whatever reason. Also make sure and double-check that both of your fans are working just to be certain. Cant you change the laptop's settings in dragon center or whatever the main application is to enable it to run at its highest TDP and TGP mode? Or is that something I read about the new models? Maybe a clean reinstall of afterburner would be worth a shot as well. But you should be able to get some better insight with HWInfo at the very least. Also, the voltage-frequency curve on AFterburner can show what the cards doing in relation to what it set to so any major downclocks will potentially show up there.