GPU Coil Whining?

Cleric4Life

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hello Tom's Hardware community!

I had recently posted about a problem of mine where there was a high pitched noise coming from my GPU. The problem seemed to be coil whining and it was recommended that I RMA the product for a new one which I did. However, when I received my new GPU, the coil whining persisted. (Now I'm just frustrated)

Now I do not know what to do and I do not know if I just received another defective product or if it is something else causing the coil whining. Should I RMA the product again and spend more money and time or is there another solution to my dilemma?

The sound is most likely coming from GPU (90% sure) because the whining sound disappeared when I did not have the GPU installed.

Another thing is that when the coil whining noise starts up, the activity monitor in Catalyst Control Center shows the activity spiking up to almost 70% and then returns back to 0% after the noise ends.

My specs are:
Core i5 3570k CPU
ASUS P8z77v-LK Motherboard
Seasonic X 850W PSU
MSI Twin Frozr 7850 OC 2GB

I thank you for reading this and any help that I receive.

mace200200

Honorable
Yea lol not seeing it unless it doesn't like ubuntu, or opera browser i don't know, anyway, how long did you run both cards? Sometimes new components will do things like this until they break in a little bit and it's nothing to worry about.

Cleric4Life

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I've only had this new one for about 3 days since I only come home on the weekends. How long do you recommend I wait? Should I just leave my computer on while I'm gone?

Edit: I don't remember if I said this or not but the noise starts up mostly when I'm browsing or the computer is just idle.

mace200200

Honorable
Some GPU's will make noises when they're idle, or when they're working at very low levels. I can't say how long it'd take, I'd say give it at least a week, but maybe it takes up to a few months. I see people tell others that their GPUs used to have coil whine problems but eventually gave it up.

mace200200

Honorable
Some GPU's will make noises when they're idle, or when they're working at very low levels. I can't say how long it'd take, I'd say give it at least a week, but maybe it takes up to a few months. I see people tell others that their GPUs used to have coil whine problems but eventually gave it up.

Cleric4Life

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

OK! I'll suck it up and deal with the noise for a couple of weeks to see if the GPU will stop making noises. Do you think the noise from the GPU could be because of some other component?
Also I'm guessing the random fluctuation in activity shown in Catalyst Control Center during the coil whining is normal then?

Edit: I wouldn't mind the coil whine if it was not so loud. For example if I were to leave my computer on overnight to download something, I don't think I would be able to sleep because of the on/off whining. Another thing is that I'm thinking about using it in a dorm setting so the noise would probably annoy my roommate. I would use headphones but I'm looking for good quality headphones that are comfortable (since I have extremely sensitive outer ears). The problem is money as I would have to get a microphone and headphones so I am waiting for the price to lower.

Lastly, do you have any suggestions if the noise doesn't go away? Should I just try RMAing again? Sorry for all the questions...:(

mace200200

Honorable
I've never had problems with coil whine before, I don't think it has anything to do with any other components, just the GPU. After a few weeks if it still won't shut up, then you'd have to RMA it again. Right now I have an MSI twin frozer 6770 about a foot from my face (without a case side panel on even) and all I hear is the cpu cooler. Although, I can hear a bit of whine when I press my ear against the bare card. If you do have to RMA it again, I'd try to get a different model from MSI, me and my friends all run MSI cards and only ever have and never have had a single problem with one yet.

Cleric4Life

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Oh, I might just be extremely unlucky since both cards were very loud. Even with the case closed I can hear it clearly. There could be another reason why it seems only I have this problem. My father said that he couldnt hear a single thing from the gpu while my sister and I were able to hear the whining. (that high pitched sound younger people are able to hear). Anyways ill wait a couple weeksand see if it disappears during normal usage. Do you recommend that i try and get an actual representative if i were to rma back to manufacturer again? Ill get back to report my findings in a couple of weeks. :)