[SOLVED] GPU compatibility to monitor ?

May 26, 2022
Hey guys,
I have a query, I am planning to buy an MSI GT 1030 2gb DDR5 Low Profile Graphics Card. This one has HDMI port and Display Port. But I old monitor supports only DVI-D and VGA. I have three questions : First question is do I use a DVI-HDMI Converter or go for a Zotac GT 1030 2gb DDR5 Low Profile Graphics Card which has DVI-D port and HDMI port. The second question is incase if I use MSI GT 1030 will it support my pc which is HP Compaq 6300 pro, which contains a 3rd Gen i5 3470 processor with 12gb of DDR3 1600Mhz and PCI Express Slot 3.0 (16x) and a 320 Watt Power Supply. The third question is if I use converter will I receive audio from speaker of CPU as DVI-D is only for display right, I don't have speakers on monitor, only wanted to know whether I will get audio from CPU? Monitor Model is : Dell1908FP. One more thing is I had a GT 710 2gb DDR3 Low Profile Graphics Card and it connected well.

Solution
do I use a DVI-HDMI Converter or go for a Zotac GT 1030 2gb DDR5 Low Profile Graphics Card which has DVI-D port
if the Zotac doesn't include a DP port i would stick with the MSI and an HDMI\DP > DVI-D adapter for now.

hopefully you would be upgrading this old monitor sometime in the future and you would want to use DP then so having it available could save you some headache down the road.
if I use MSI GT 1030 will it support my pc
as long as you have an available x8/x16 PCIe slot and enough room to house the card, then yes.
if I use converter will I receive audio from speaker of CPU as DVI-D is only for display right
video cables do not interfere with motherboard onboard audio.
so yes, you will still receive...

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I have used a HDMI to VGA adapter to hook up to a old monitor that only had VGA, and DVI connectors. It works fine like that, the adapter I got also has a 3.5mm socket for audio, although I think you need to plug that into some sort of audio amplifier to make use of it.

Hmm I'll try and find something similar and link it so you can see the type of thing I mean, (not saying you have to get this one there are lots of others I'm sure) .. HDMI to VGA adapter

Suggested power supply for that video card is 300Watt, so hopefuly you will be ok with your PSU, but not entirely sure.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may, or may not be actually worth 2c}

Last edited:
Reactions: vedaya2355
do I use a DVI-HDMI Converter or go for a Zotac GT 1030 2gb DDR5 Low Profile Graphics Card which has DVI-D port
if the Zotac doesn't include a DP port i would stick with the MSI and an HDMI\DP > DVI-D adapter for now.

hopefully you would be upgrading this old monitor sometime in the future and you would want to use DP then so having it available could save you some headache down the road.
if I use MSI GT 1030 will it support my pc
as long as you have an available x8/x16 PCIe slot and enough room to house the card, then yes.
if I use converter will I receive audio from speaker of CPU as DVI-D is only for display right
so yes, you will still receive audio through your onboard audio processor to your 3.5mm audio outputs.

Reactions: vedaya2355
Solution
May 26, 2022
I have used a HDMI to VGA adapter to hook up to a old monitor that only had VGA, and DVI connectors. It works fine like that, the adapter I got also has a 3.5mm socket for audio, although I think you need to plug that into some sort of audio amplifier to make use of it.

Hmm I'll try and find something similar and link it so you can see the type of thing I mean, (not saying you have to get this one there are lots of others I'm sure) .. HDMI to VGA adapter

Suggested power supply for that video card is 300Watt, so hopefuly you will be ok with your PSU, but not entirely sure.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may, or may not be actually worth 2c}
Thank you brother for the suggestion. Means a lot

May 26, 2022

so yes, you will still receive audio through your onboard audio processor to your 3.5mm audio outputs.
Thank you too brother for the suggestion. Really helps a lot.