[SOLVED] GPU compatibility with older Motherboard

Jan 6, 2022
I currently have a Intel Z170A Gaming Pro (MS-7984) motherboard
i7-6700CPU@3.4GHz
16GB 2400 RAM
AMD Radeoan R9 390 Series GPU - 8G VRam

AMD have stopped supporting drivers for the R9 390 GPU

Can I upgrade to a RTX 3060Ti GPU - 12G VRam? or similar GPU recommended.
Will the Motherboard support the GPU?
What are the challenges I can expect?

Solution
PSU is 650 or 800 watt, its about 6 years old, not sure of the make.
We can not stress enough how important is to know the exact make and model of your PSU. You can open the case and take a look at the sticker.

For your system, PSU is the only thing that may forbid the purchase of such GPU unless you upgrade it as well. To be honest, 6 years is already a long time for a PSU and you should consider buying a new one even if the one you have is capable. The do degrade with time and if it's an older platform it's even more certain you are due for an upgrade.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should be able to drop in pretty much any GPU you'd like so long as you have a PSU that can deliver power to all components. Make and model of your PSU and it's age? As a side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Jan 6, 2022
Hi Thanks for assisting me, I need to upgrade my entire system eventually.
The Bios upgrading is the most scariest for me, as I am unfamiliar with updating the BIOS drivers, its not as straight foreword as a GPU driver update

BIOS Version: 1.5
System BIOS Date: 10/22/15
Video BIOS Date: 06/05/15

We can not stress enough how important is to know the exact make and model of your PSU. You can open the case and take a look at the sticker.

For your system, PSU is the only thing that may forbid the purchase of such GPU unless you upgrade it as well. To be honest, 6 years is already a long time for a PSU and you should consider buying a new one even if the one you have is capable. The do degrade with time and if it's an older platform it's even more certain you are due for an upgrade.

Solution