Question GPU compatibility

Jan 23, 2023
Dell precision t3500
24gb RAM
SSD drives
Zeon w3670 cpu
525w power supply (650w PS available to install)
current GPU = gtx 750

question: will my system handle a GTX 1080 ti .. or will my CPU choke it down too badly?
lookin at a 2nd hand GPU upgrade in a month or so.
(no, i can not afford to replace this 2013 era system just yet, lol)

cpu will choke it in cpu demanding titles but you should be fine in less cpu demanding games most of the time .
even while the card is bottlenecked to a degree you will still see a big improvement over gtx 750 .
your processor although 12yo is at least a high end one from that era with 6 cores and 12 threads .
although you might also consider to dial it down a bit and get gtx 1080 or
1660 super / 1660Ti (these cards would make much more sense in this case) .

also no name 525w power supply would not be able to handle cards like 1080Ti reliably .
(such power supplies often are not able to deliver their rated power , or are only rated to do so at unreasonably low temps)
what is the brand and model of that 650w power supply you mentioned ?

i would also advice you to measure the space in your case and make sure the card you want to buy will fit inside .

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023
cpu will choke it in cpu demanding titles but you should be fine in less cpu demanding games most of the time .
even while the card is bottlenecked to a degree you will still see a big improvement over gtx 750 .
your processor although 12yo is at least a high end one from that era with 6 cores and 12 threads .
although you might also consider to dial it down a bit and get gtx 1080 .
however no name 525w power supply
(those often are not able to deliver their rated power , or are only rated to do so at unreasonably low temps)
would not be able to handle such cards reliably .
what is the brand and model of that 650w power supply you mentioned ?
i would also advice you to measure the space in your case and make sure the card you want to buy will fit .
the 525 is the OE Dell unit
the 650 is a Ultra ult-lsp650p
this system was spec'd out as a server build when originally ordered

the 525 is the OE Dell unit
the 650 is a Ultra ult-lsp650p
this system was spec'd out as a server build when originally ordered

from what i could find that 650w unit is rated to deliver 456w through its 12V rail (rail responsible for powering your cpu and graphics card)
but it is not even 80+ certified and it is made by andyson (not a good manufacturer)
which means there will be a lot of residual heat created (less efficiency = more heat)
and capacitors and other parts inside that psu are almost certainly of low quality which only adds up even more problems .
i would say get yourself either 1660Ti or 1660 super (they both have the same performance) and call it a day -
those are also massively better than gtx 750 and they consume much less power than 1080Ti and won´t be bottlenecked so badly .

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Before installing that new PSU, please make sure that it actually connects to the mainboard! Prebuilts, especially Dell prebuilts, often use prorietary power connectors that make using a retail PSU pretty much impossible. I don't know if that was already an issue in 2013, but my guess would be yes.

Jan 23, 2023
from what i could find that 650w unit is rated to deliver 456w through its 12V rail (rail responsible for powering your cpu and graphics card)
but it is not even 80+ certified and it is made by andyson (not a good manufacturer)
which means there will be a lot of residual heat created (less efficiency = more heat)
and capacitors and other parts inside that psu are almost certainly of low quality which only adds up even more problems .
i would say get yourself either 1660Ti or 1660 super (they both have the same performance) and call it a day -
those are also massively better than gtx 750 and they consume much less power than 1080Ti and won´t be bottlenecked so badly .
and this is why i search out forums like this. lol.
1660 super is also nearly 2.5" shorter (lengthwise) than the 750 i have in now.
thank you.

Jan 23, 2023
Before installing that new PSU, please make sure that it actually connects to the mainboard! Prebuilts, especially Dell prebuilts, often use prorietary power connectors that make using a retail PSU pretty much impossible. I don't know if that was already an issue in 2013, but my guess would be yes.
hmm... good point.. Dell is horrible about proprietary nonsense.. might be a 6-8 adapter in my future, lol.
i will investigate the ability to run a retail PSU 1st tho.
thank you.
just need a year(ish) out of this thing and i should be building a new i7/i9 machine.

KyaraM

Admirable
Actually, in my wife’s home office at least for now, sits an older Dell optiplex with an i7 3770. That system could accept a standard power supply. I have an old 600 watt EVGA bronze unit in there that I installed. Still works fine for the last 2-3 years that way.
True. And from this forum post, it looks like @Ralph4199 might be in luck:

Never know, though, so I thought I would point out to be cautious first =)

Jan 23, 2023
True. And from this forum post, it looks like @Ralph4199 might be in luck:

Never know, though, so I thought I would point out to be cautious first =)
thanks, tons of good info there. ultimately i will do a custom built rather than extensive mods to this dell.
GPU/PSU upgrade will be done in the hopefully near future to extend it's useful life a bit longer is about it i think, then start gathering components ;-)

doin a bit more digging, looks like it is possible to get a 1,000w PSU into one of these, with and adapter or 2 .. but... going with a 125w GTX1660 super, my stock Dell 525w should handle things pretty easy (i hope)

Thank you everyone for the tips/advise/cautions. trust me... i will be back with more questions as the acquisition phase commences, lololol

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM