GPU Completely black screen, no signal at all.

darksleuth

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hi,

I had my PC connected to my TV by HDMI and both went dead.
I got the TV fixed - the main board had to be replaced.

The GPU fan spins and the gigabyte mobo beeps once at start up.
If I replace the GPU the PC starts fine and displays a signal.

I have tried the HDMI and dvi outs of the GPU - no signal.

Q6600
Ga-p35-s3
GTX660
SSD, HDD, 4gb ram.

Out of warranty by 2 months....Novatech and kfa2 told me to get lost :(

Any hope or just a dead card?

Thanks

Solution

You can try flashing your BIOS by clearing the CMOS. And you can try the GPU on your new system. After all you are just checking if the gpu is dead or not. It won't fry other devices although there is a VERY SMALL chance that your motherboard may be fried in the process. Still if you don't want to risk it, take it to the GPU's board partner's service center and have it tested there.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
Try replacing current display cables with new ones. Maybe the old ones got damaged. Or install you GPU on another system (maybe in a PC belonging to a friend of yours) and see if the gpu works. If not, then most probably your GPU is dead. Also try resetting the CMOS by touching the CMOS_reset pins on the motherboard together with a metallic object like screw-driver for 2-3 sec and then see it your GPU works.

darksleuth

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hi,

I tried 2 other HDMI cables and no joy....but both work with the older card and a digi/smart box.

I have a newer system for working on with a 4770K ....but don't really want to kill it....probably no risk right?

I was thinking that maybe the BIOS got corrupt.... would flashing them help?

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

You can try flashing your BIOS by clearing the CMOS. And you can try the GPU on your new system. After all you are just checking if the gpu is dead or not. It won't fry other devices although there is a VERY SMALL chance that your motherboard may be fried in the process. Still if you don't want to risk it, take it to the GPU's board partner's service center and have it tested there.

Solution

darksleuth

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for your help!
I tried it in a different PC and happened to try DVI first....no problem.

Tried the HDMI and still no joy....must have gone at the same time as the board in the TV?
The old monitor I tried must be kaput too.

Is it common for the two to go together.

Anyhow..... Thanks for your help.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

It is not common. Most probably your GPU's HDMI port is fried.