Question Gpu configuration

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Hi all

I’m struggling with the right settings for my Gpu. I’m getting low frame rates and a high temperature during gaming . I have a rx570 amd. My temperatures get up to 89 degrees Celsius at 100% load playing the division 2 during the first 10min of the game. I set my Gpu fan speed to 100% when it hits 85 but the temperatures only drop to around 72.

I’m only getting around 30fps in the division 2 and sometimes it stutters my screen. where as I saw average FPS Around 65. Even when I overclock my Gpu nothing changes.I use profile watterman and msi afterburner But they arnt great. I forgot to mension I overclocked my ryzen 2200g to 3.9Ghz

Would really appreciate some help to find the correct gaming configuration as

What case do you have?
How many case fans, what size, where, intake/exhaust?

When did you "saw an average FPS around 65"?

You shouldn't need to use WattMan AND Afterburner, they do the same thing.

Have you OC'd your GPU?

What brand/model is your RX570.

Have you tried using anything (Radeon Overlay perhaps - Ctrl+Shift+O) to monitor your GPU frequency when you're getting these low frame rates? Good chance your GPU is thermal throttling down to a lower frequency.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
What case do you have?
How many case fans, what size, where, intake/exhaust?

When did you "saw an average FPS around 65"?

You shouldn't need to use WattMan AND Afterburner, they do the same thing.

Have you OC'd your GPU?

What brand/model is your RX570.

Have you tried using anything (Radeon Overlay perhaps - Ctrl+Shift+O) to monitor your GPU frequency when you're getting these low frame rates? Good chance your GPU is thermal throttling down to a lower frequency.
Hi there thank you for your response I have the Corsair Spec 06 case
H115i platinum Aio in the front
3 extra Corsair LL120mm fans. Top 2 and rear are exhausts and the front are intake. I have the xfx Radeon rx570. 5 Fans in total
I saw it on user benchmarks the average FPS but I’m not sure if it’s correct.

It’s not OC at the moment I tried to OC it but it didn’t make any difference. So I reset it to default except I kept the fan configuration.My Cpu temperature is good 30-35 degrees on a full load

I’m using msi after burned to monitor everything with rivatuner.

How would I fix thermal throttling down to a lower frequency.?A while ago i vertically mounted my Gpu and the temperatures were stable shall I do that again?

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Sorry i meant when i first built my pc i vertically mounted it and it wasnt overheating at all,but now since ive been gaming for 5-6 hours a day theres issues.The userbenchmark now wont pick up my gpu,it says something about excluding gpu.Do you think my gpu could be danaged from overheating.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Nah, a GPU will throttle itself down as much as necessary to prevent thermal damage.

Are you comfortable removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old thermal paste from the GPU chip, and applying new paste? That helped me
That sounds like a big job pheww. Can you looked your warranty if you open it up?

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Could try cleaning the card, making sure fans and heat fins are dust-free. Undervolting is also a good way to reduce temperatures.
Can I use high pressure air to remove any dust?would that be safe?that sounds like a good idea. But won’t I loose performance by undervolting?

Last night my Gpu went up to 89degrees Celsius after a couple of hours and I found that when I manually set my Gpu fans to max they spun at max like 3000rpm the temperatures didn’t come down so I turn all my fans in my case up to the max and it brought down the Temperature to 67 and stable.

What I can’t understand is Gpu fans are set to automatic right?when my gpu reaches 89 the fans were only spinning 55%which shouldn’t be right because with that capacity it would never cool down your Gpu?

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
I use canned air, aka gas duster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

No, you won't lose performance by undervolting. If your card is throttling at all currently, you may even get a small performance boost.

Yes, that is strange that the fans wouldn't be at 100% by the time it hits 90C, not sure what's going on with the default fan profile there.
In the amd adrenaline software,there’s the global settings where you can OC your Gpu,change voltage and clock speed etc and it’s all on default which is weird. But I had no choice to customise the fan speeds at certain temperatures.

I’m going to use the air canisters that you have,Can Psu connectors cause any issues?the 6pin and 2pin?

That sounds like a big job pheww. Can you looked your warranty if you open it up?
Have you removed a CPU heatsink and reapplied thermal paste? Same thing. 4 screws, 1 or 2 fan connectors. Clean the old paste off with Isopropyl Alcohol on a paper towel, apply a dot the size of a half-grain of rice, screw the 4 screws back in. I did one 2 days ago. Took me 15 minutes from case panel off to case panel back on.
Yes, there's typically a "warranty void if removed" sticker on one of the 4 screws. So you'll have to weigh if that 2 year warranty for a $120 GPU is worth it or if you'd rather have a...functioning card. Other people have said that there is no risk of losing your warranty by removing that screw in this instance. I can't confirm/deny that.

Again, do the undervolt thing first.
AMD Settings - Global Settings - WattMan. Then on the left, flip the switch for Frequency to "Dynamic" and Voltage to "Manual" If you list off the 7 frequencies listed after doing that I can rattle off voltages to enter.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Nothing you've mentioned would suggest a power supply issue. What makes you think there's a problem with the power PCIe power connectors?
Well I added a cable extension kit in my case,I was told it would be the same just extensions but I think maybe it could have caused an issue because isn’t direct power better?

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Have you removed a CPU heatsink and reapplied thermal paste? Same thing. 4 screws, 1 or 2 fan connectors. Clean the old paste off with Isopropyl Alcohol on a paper towel, apply a dot the size of a half-grain of rice, screw the 4 screws back in. I did one 2 days ago. Took me 15 minutes from case panel off to case panel back on.
Yes, there's typically a "warranty void if removed" sticker on one of the 4 screws. So you'll have to weigh if that 2 year warranty for a $120 GPU is worth it or if you'd rather have a...functioning card. Other people have said that there is no risk of losing your warranty by removing that screw in this instance. I can't confirm/deny that.

Again, do the undervolt thing first.
AMD Settings - Global Settings - WattMan. Then on the left, flip the switch for Frequency to "Dynamic" and Voltage to "Manual" If you list off the 7 frequencies listed after doing that I can rattle off voltages to enter.

I never recommend anyone playing any game on ultra settings. The visual improvement compared to high settings is usually difficult to see even on screenshots, let alone fluid gameplay movement.

Put the performance improvement toward power savings if you were happy with the frame rates you had on ultra.

Last edited: