Question GPU Connector Issue

Aug 15, 2022
Hello,

After leaving my computer during a windows update, my pc would not display on the monitor or beep when powering on, unless I disconnected the power connectors from the 980ti MSI graphics card. If I disconnect the connectors, the pc will display from the motherboard port and will beep on. It’s odd because the card still lights up in the PCIe slot.

I tried reinstalling windows in case it was an issue with the update. I also tried using a new PSU unit (500w) but the same issue happened. I reset the bios to default and still same issue. I don’t have another pc or graphics card unfortunately to test the gpu. Any ideas on the cause or for the next step is appreciated. Does it sound like a gpu issue or motherboard issue? Thank you!

Aug 15, 2022
No I can't find the GPU in device manager. I only see what I think is the on-board/motherboard GPU; it reads"Display Adapter - ATI Radeon 3000 graphics"

You get display from motherboard with GPU still connected to PCIe slot, right? In this case, if you go to Device Manager, does the GPU appear there?

No I can't find the GPU in device manager. I only see what I think is the on-board/motherboard GPU; it reads"Display Adapter - ATI Radeon 3000 graphics"
Couple more questions. How many PCIe ports your GPU has, two 8-pins? What was model of the 500W unit you used, did you use power cables that come with it (if it was modular unit), and does the behavior was exactly the same with both PSUs?

Aug 15, 2022
Yes two 8 pin ports/power cables but I only see one PCIe slot.

The model was of the 500w unit was
Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU

The behavior was exactly the same: power sound is heard but no beep or display unless 8-pin cables are disconnected.

Seems to me your GPU has failed. Although, with the caveat that both PSUs you used are not really great for this level of GPU (I'm even somewhat surprised it worked well before), however it should not matter for just starting the PC. The final test in such cases is to put GPU in another PC, if it behaves same way you have confirmation.