constonce

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Alright so I recently upgraded and got a second eVGA 8800 GT 1GB off ebay. I have them running in SLI with no issues except for heat. Ones an Akimbo so its not so bad but the other(my original) runs on the hot side. I plan to buy two Zalman VF 1000s and these Evercool RHS-F117s for the ram modules. I also figure to seal the deal with Arctic Silver 5 compound. But before I venture into this and start spending I wanted to get some feed back on weather or not these are indeed good choices in cooling solutions, if the Arctic Silver 5 will keep the Evercool HS modules in place or will it dry and leave them falling off, if lapping the cooling solutions prior to installation would be wise or useful, and finally if lapping the GPUs Processors themselves would be useful. I know the 8800s are probably a bit dated to be putting all this into but the push Crysis quite nicely and I hope this will make a good project to learn from for future ventures.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
so you're paying over $100 to keep them cool... you should have saved that and spent it on a better card >.<

btw you can't lap a gpu and would be foolish to.

80 C load temps are fine if that's what the seconds getting... really the extra cooling that would allow the overclock wouldn't be as fast as if you sold or dropped the first 8800GT and spent the $ on the second+zalmans for a 9800GX2 or GTX 260 or 4850X2 or something!

constonce

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

Havent spent it yet. Im new to OCing GPUs and new to lapping so I asked prior to running out and buying a bunch of stuffs. Thanks for the input though.

constonce

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Something to look into indeed. Can Arctic Silver 5 help any in cooling my cards if I use it to replace the stock transfer material? Or is using Arctic Silver 5 on GPUs not recommended?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It might help a little, but won't make significant difference. The only case being if the cooler isn't seated correctly, and then just reseating it would help...or if there is way too much thermal paste.

constonce

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Alright then, thanks a lot. I just got in a 9850 Phenom to replace my Athlon 64 X2 4600+. Any suggestions for it? I hear ppl talk about lapping Intel hs frequently. Can the same benefit a AMD hs?