[SOLVED] GPU cooler going crazy with no reason

Sep 30, 2020
Hello,

This is my first post so pls. correct me if I posted in the wrong section :). That being said... I have an RTX 2080 TI (windforce). Everything works more or less ok. I have a problem at ~81 celsius -> coolers go from 0 to hero despite my aorus engine settings. Below is a print of the aorus engine (as you can see I even tried to underclock it because I thought it may get too hot but that doesn't seem to be the issue since temperature never went above 82 degrees).

https://ibb.co/QfYdw91

As you can see the percentages are fine, the coolers were at 73-75%, then temperature went up with 1 celsius and they went up to 79% speed. The problem is that the actual RPM of the coolers went from 2088 to almost 4000. That is significantly more than a 4% (if 73% is ~2100 RPM, 100% should be ~2900, so the total should've increase by ~115 RPM, not 2k; if 4000 RPM is actually 79%, then... the 73% = 2088 is false; in any case there is a discrepancy between percentage of cooler speed and RPM).

At 4000 RPM is like I have a vacuum next to my ears, is horrible, and I wouldn't mind if it should've actually hit that (it should eventually get to that speed if temperature grows but not without a significant temperature growth - at least 3 degrees according to my settings). What I basically need is a soother transition (because I'm pretty sure I don't stress the card enough to need this jump). Is there any setting that overrides that setting on the right? What am I doing wrong here? Shouldn't fan speed percent translate in RPM resulting in a linear RPM raise?

Thank you for your time,
Victor

Solution
use ddu uninstaller to remove GPU drivers and reinstall the latest from nvidia.com

uninstall any other tools like afterburner, aorus,...