[SOLVED] GPU Cooler

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
This has probably been asked before, my apologies if I am repeating an already asked question.

I am looking for cooling fan set that will sit very close to the top of the back plate on my gpu. I don't want one that sits under and blows air up or down for that fact.
just wanting to pull more away from the back plate and I have a PCI slot just above it, but there isn't much room just a few cms so it would need to be kinda thin.

Just asking in case someone already has some experience with this type of thing, thanks.

Solution
Is this an issue of the cooler, or actually an issue of case airflow?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Is this an issue of the cooler, or actually an issue of case airflow?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooler Troubleshooting and Questions

High CPU and GPU temperatures:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
My gpu runs around 40 or so at idle and can almost hit 80 under load which is any time I am gaming which can be quite often. I have a TT 71 so it's a decent sized case. I have 14 QL's all running full from the time it's turned on until it's turned off. I did a smoke check and the flow is proper, but still it's a pretty big case. I tried switching a few of the fans to Noctua fans, but the temp drop was maybe 1-2 degrees not worth the amount of noise that comes off those at full speed. I just thought I would stick something on the slot above the card to help evacuate some of the heat coming off the back plate. It's probably fine, but I thought I don't mind spending the money and thought it may help the gpu a bit. I did try removing one of the side panels and it did help, under load it was down to 68 degrees, but my place has a lot of dust and with two small kids, I can't really leave it open. Even when I put the two screens that came with the case on, temps go to almost 85 under load, so I keep them off which I know is contributing to more dust but had to take that step to lower the temps. a bit.

You have...14! fans?! The TT 71 only has 9 fan mounting locations.

Even with all those fans, putting the side panel on the case results in a 17C+ GPU temp increase (probably more cuz at 85C the GPU is probably throttling)?

What is your fan airflow orientation:
  • 3 front fans = (intake/exhaust)? (should be intake)
  • 3 top fans = (intake/exhaust)? (should be exhaust)
  • 1 rear fan = (intake/exhaust)? (should be exhaust)
  • 2 bottom fans = (intake/exhaust)? (should be intake)
Are you confident in being able to identify the airflow direction of a fan by looking at it?

Do you have the 2080 Super connected typical/horizontal to the mobo, or do you have it mounted vertical in the case (with a riser)

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
3 Fronts, 3 sides (at the front) and 1 bottom are intake, 6 tops and 1 back are exhaust.

I usually run the 2080 full and it is mounted in the typical fashion.
After having just purchased the Corsair H150i, and I'm going to mount it on top, I am considering using the 3 fans that came with it, and removing the three fans that I have on top. (currently have six on the rad all blowing up, and all are the same speed, but if I use the ones that come with the 150 then they can spin much faster then the QL's can so I don't want the air going out the top to be slowed by the QL's)

My current setup......
View: https://youtu.be/iYNUyzKKbhM

Last edited: