[SOLVED] GPU cooling advice needed for ITX build

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All

Hoping some of you can give me some advice on getting GPU temps down on my new ITX build. My setup consists of the following:

ASRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Silverstone SST-SX500 500W SFX PSU
XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB GPU
NZXT H200i ITX Case

My current cooling consists of a NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AiO cooler, mounted to the front of the case, pushing air through the radiator into the case, and the two NZXT 120mm PWM fans supplied with the case as my rear and top exhaust fans, there is no other space to mount additional fans, and can only mount a 240mm AiO cooler to the front of the case.

Everything works as it should, CPU temps never go above 65 degrees, RAM and motherboard temps hold around 45 degrees (all according to HWInfo64), however my GPU shoots up to 80 to 85 degrees consistently. I'm aware these temps are probably ok (ish) for a GPU, although not ideal, however I would like to be able to drop these temps to below 80 degrees under load if possible, mainly so I can eliminate some GPU fan noise. I have set my own fan curve to try and slow the fans down a bit at high temps, but there still needs to be enough speed in the fans to keep GPU temps down to an acceptable level. My initial thought is that with using a 240mm AiO cooler in it's current configuration I'm just sending warm air into the case, which is probably not helping the GPU keep temps down, whether that theory could be correct would need confirmation from any of you guys. With that in mind I have been toying with the idea of replacing the AiO with a couple of intake fans at the front and using a decent air cooler, at least cool air will be going into the case, well that's the theory anyway. It's either that or I replace the GPU with one that requires less power to operate, which I would have thought would achieve lower GPU temps.

If any of you have any thoughts on what I can do to try and get the GPU temps down a bit under load, then I'd be ever so grateful to hear them. All components I have installed can be returned for exchange or refund, so while this is possible I am happy to make changes to my build.

Solution
From the Pictures of the Case what I see is that your GPU is sitting in its own juice.

I would try making the front the exhaust, pulling the hot air away from the GPU rather than pushing preheated air through the psu into the GPU. Maybe worth a try if you are willing to take everything out again.

Additionally as you said before, I would recommend to switch from automatic fan profile speed to a manual setup. If not already done.
Especially try to set a minimum speed which is fairly comfortable in noise but already pushes some air so you do not end up circling the hot air inside the case. -> maybe 30-40%?
Hi All

Hoping some of you can give me some advice on getting GPU temps down on my new ITX build. My setup consists of the following:

ASRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Silverstone SST-SX500 500W SFX PSU
XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB GPU
NZXT H200i ITX Case

My current cooling consists of a NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AiO cooler, mounted to the front of the case, pushing air through the radiator into the case, and the two NZXT 120mm PWM fans supplied with the case as my rear and top exhaust fans, there is no other space to mount additional fans, and can only mount a 240mm AiO cooler to the front of the case.

Everything works as it should, CPU temps never go above 65 degrees, RAM and motherboard temps hold around 45 degrees (all according to HWInfo64), however my GPU shoots up to 80 to 85 degrees consistently. I'm aware these temps are probably ok (ish) for a GPU, although not ideal, however I would like to be able to drop these temps to below 80 degrees under load if possible, mainly so I can eliminate some GPU fan noise. I have set my own fan curve to try and slow the fans down a bit at high temps, but there still needs to be enough speed in the fans to keep GPU temps down to an acceptable level. My initial thought is that with using a 240mm AiO cooler in it's current configuration I'm just sending warm air into the case, which is probably not helping the GPU keep temps down, whether that theory could be correct would need confirmation from any of you guys. With that in mind I have been toying with the idea of replacing the AiO with a couple of intake fans at the front and using a decent air cooler, at least cool air will be going into the case, well that's the theory anyway. It's either that or I replace the GPU with one that requires less power to operate, which I would have thought would achieve lower GPU temps.

If any of you have any thoughts on what I can do to try and get the GPU temps down a bit under load, then I'd be ever so grateful to hear them. All components I have installed can be returned for exchange or refund, so while this is possible I am happy to make changes to my build.
Rx 570 overheating ? I can't get mine to get close to maximum temps.
Things you can try.
First try running with case side open, That's pretty cramped case.
Set GPU fan speed higher using MSI Afterburner, XFX utility or Radeon driver panel.
Undervolt it a bit and lower power delivery using any of those programs. Things like that might even get you some more performance.

Reactions: PAULO40

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Rx 570 overheating ? I can't get mine to get close to maximum temps.
Things you can try.
First try running with case side open, That's pretty cramped case.
Set GPU fan speed higher using MSI Afterburner, XFX utility or Radeon driver panel.
Undervolt it a bit and lower power delivery using any of those programs. Things like that might even get you some more performance.

Thanks for the reply Mike

OK, well I performed a 10 minute stress test on the 570 using Kombustor with the side panel on and was hitting 85'C, with the panel off the same test makes the 570 hit the same 85'C temps. The back of the card is almost to hot to touch. Upping the speeds of the fans is kind of what I want to avoid, although ramping the speeds up to 100% on Afterburner does lower temps significantly, with the side panel off though. Setting Afterburner fan speed to 65% keep the GPU temp to 80'C and below.

It's funny you mentioned undervolting and power delivery as I have just been researching that, although that's something I have never attempted before and wouldn't know where to start. I've overclocked before so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with doing it, if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Is it possible I have a faulty 570? Also, I've noticed the 570 comes with a metal backing plate on the board, and this feels red hot, wouldn't this contribute to keeping temps up on the 570?

Thanks for the reply Mike

OK, well I performed a 10 minute stress test on the 570 using Kombustor with the side panel on and was hitting 85'C, with the panel off the same test makes the 570 hit the same 85'C temps. The back of the card is almost to hot to touch. Upping the speeds of the fans is kind of what I want to avoid, although ramping the speeds up to 100% on Afterburner does lower temps significantly, with the side panel off though. Setting Afterburner fan speed to 65% keep the GPU temp to 80'C and below.

It's funny you mentioned undervolting and power delivery as I have just been researching that, although that's something I have never attempted before and wouldn't know where to start. I've overclocked before so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with doing it, if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Is it possible I have a faulty 570? Also, I've noticed the 570 comes with a metal backing plate on the board, and this feels red hot, wouldn't this contribute to keeping temps up on the 570?
Only thing "faulty" could be that cooler was moved and bit dislocated a bit braking bond with paste. Could happen during transport or installation.
Also may try maxing out Minimum Acoustic Limit in Radeon settings. I know it helped me by couple of degrees.

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Only thing "faulty" could be that cooler was moved and bit dislocated a bit braking bond with paste. Could happen during transport or installation.
Also may try maxing out Minimum Acoustic Limit in Radeon settings. I know it helped me by couple of degrees.

Thanks for the advice Mike

I tried maxing the Minimum Acoustic Limit in Radeon settings and it didn't have any effect at all really. I think it's going to be a case of playing with my fan configuration tbh, I have a plan and will implement it over the next few days once the new components have arrived. I believe improved cool airflow into the case is what is going to be needed, although I'll see if I can play around with undervolting the GPU, hopefully that may improve matters.

I'll update this once I've seen the results of my new configuration. In the meantime if you or anyone else has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
From the Pictures of the Case what I see is that your GPU is sitting in its own juice.

I would try making the front the exhaust, pulling the hot air away from the GPU rather than pushing preheated air through the psu into the GPU. Maybe worth a try if you are willing to take everything out again.

Additionally as you said before, I would recommend to switch from automatic fan profile speed to a manual setup. If not already done.
Especially try to set a minimum speed which is fairly comfortable in noise but already pushes some air so you do not end up circling the hot air inside the case. -> maybe 30-40%?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS