Question GPU cooling Issue ?

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I'm having a cooling nightmare. I built a B737 cockpit in a 8ft x 11ft room in my garage. It consists of four computers, five 42" lcd screens, three 24" lcd screens & two 12" lcd screens. The room is cooled by an old 12,000btu air conditioner window unit cut into the outside brick wall. It was keeping things cool until I upgraded two of the computers. I put an RTX 3080 gpu in one and more recently an RTX 3090TI which is putting out a lot of heat. Both these computers have a two fan liquid cpu cooler with the 120mm fans venting out the front of the case. Only one 120mm fan is bringing air in at the front bottom of the case. There are two 120mm exhaust fans on the top and one in back. I don't know of any better way to arrange these fans where they will be more efficient.

I finally had to open the side of these two cases and put a fan blowing into them. But another problem is that the temperature in the cockpit room rises from 70f to over 80f in an hour or so. I don't let it get much hotter without shutting everything off so it won't damage the computers. I'm wondering if installing maybe an 18,000btu A/C would be able to keep up but I can't afford to do that right now. I'm sure others have had heat problems with the 3080 series gpus and I'm wondering are there any good solutions.

Jerry

Lutfij

Titan
Could you include images to the two builds/cases? Specs to both builds will also help two fold. Logically you will need to update the HVAC system according to the amount of power/wattage of heat you're dumping into the room/garage/space. There's also the matter of an HVAC system showing signs of degradation over time.

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
The two NR600 cases are windowed but I took the side windows off and I'm using a fan to cool them. I can provide pics later if needed.
Here are the specs for all four systems:

COCKPIT SYSTEM SPECS 7/1/2022
Home Cockpit based on B737-800
Prosim737v2.03 Software
Wideview to sync P3Dv5.3 on Systems 1 & 2

SYSTEM 1
P3DV 5.3, Prosi737 Server, Wideview
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo
i9-9900K 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
GIGABYTE Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600
(3) Vizio 42” HDTVs-Front surround view
12” Monitor for atc and gsx menus
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe 5.1 Sound Card
Cooler Master NR600 Case
1TB M2. (4) 1TB SSD, 1TB HD, 3TB HD
(2) pcie 6 port usb adapters
Powered 13-port usb hub
CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x CP-9020201-NA 1000 W ATX
WINDOWS 10

SYSTEM 2
P3DV4.5, Wideview Client, Left & Right Views
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo
i9-9900K 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
GIGABYTE Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600
Cooler Master NR600 Case
Acer 42” LCD Monitor-Left View
Sony 42” LCD Monitor-Right View
WINDOWS 10

SYSTEM 3
Navigraph Maps, Cap pfd/nd, Upper and Lower Eicas
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Mobo
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 CPU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-2000
Geforce 770 GTX GPU
(3) Acer 24” LCD Monitors
10” LCD Monitor
WINDOWS 10

SYSTEM 4
Prosim737-FO PFD/ND, CDU1, CDU2
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Mobo
Intel i7 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-2000
Geforce 680 GTX GPU-FO PFD/ND
AOC 24” LCD
(2) 5” TFT Monitors WINDOWS 7

I'm having a cooling nightmare. I built a B737 cockpit in a 8ft x 11ft room in my garage. It consists of four computers, five 42" lcd screens, three 24" lcd screens & two 12" lcd screens. The room is cooled by an old 12,000btu air conditioner window unit cut into the outside brick wall. It was keeping things cool until I upgraded two of the computers. I put an RTX 3080 gpu in one and more recently an RTX 3090TI which is putting out a lot of heat. Both these computers have a two fan liquid cpu cooler with the 120mm fans venting out the front of the case. Only one 120mm fan is bringing air in at the front bottom of the case. There are two 120mm exhaust fans on the top and one in back. I don't know of any better way to arrange these fans where they will be more efficient.

I finally had to open the side of these two cases and put a fan blowing into them. But another problem is that the temperature in the cockpit room rises from 70f to over 80f in an hour or so. I don't let it get much hotter without shutting everything off so it won't damage the computers. I'm wondering if installing maybe an 18,000btu A/C would be able to keep up but I can't afford to do that right now. I'm sure others have had heat problems with the 3080 series gpus and I'm wondering are there any good solutions.

Jerry
Pictures please :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both these computers have a two fan liquid cpu cooler with the 120mm fans venting out the front of the case. Only one 120mm fan is bringing air in at the front bottom of the case.
And therein lies the issue. You have 1x 120mm fan, at the bottom, with slightly restricted airspace as the case feet aren't that tall, trying to feed a case with air and there's 5x exhaust fans, 2 on rads, 2x on top and a rear.

Turn the fans on the radiators around, use them as intakes. You'll want the fans on the inside if possible, pulling air through the radiator, not pushing. The cpu temps will drop as the fans will be pulling air-conditioned air into the case through the rad, and gpu temps will drop as the gpus will now be getting air blown at it, same as when the case sides are off.

Can't do anything about room temps. You have 4pcs using a lot of power, that power is dissipated into the room. Regardless of actual temps, you are basically dumping the same amount of wattage into the room as if you turned on a commercial hairdryer on high, and left it running for several hours. Your ac not only has to overcome room temps, but the additional hairdryer. 12k BTU may not be enough.

Those pc's are dumping @ 6k BTU @ 150-170°F into the room, 12k BTU might not be enough to overcompensate for that and keep room temps below 80°F.

Last edited:

Jerrymc3

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I was mistaken. I checked again and the cpu cooler fans are sucking air into the case. The air flow just dosen't seem to be enough to remove the heat from the gpu out of the case. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just concerned about the massive amount of heat the RTX 3090TI puts out. I purchased it 6 months after the RTX 3080 and the A/C was keeping up until I installed the RTX 3090TI .

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lowering the power limit on the gpus is an option until the air conditioning can be improved. Use Msi Afterburner or Precision(if EVGA gpu).
This works well - to a point. One can only take the power limit so far down before it hinders the boost algorithm and a nice chunk of performance is lost. How far that is varies, which means you'll have to experiment to find the happy medium.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/226874/nvidia-rtx3080-10240-200924
370w Total Board Power for the Founder's Edition. Expect some aftermarket models to have much higher limits.

No Founder's Edition to use as a reference, but some of the 3090Tis listed so far have a Total Board Power around 500w.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try putting the fans inside the radiator, not outside, but keep the flow direction. Part of the problem cooling the gpus is that the radiator dilutes static pressure, you'll get air moved into the case, the rad doesn't affect cfm, but with SP diluted, it doesn't go anywhere, just sorta drifts towards any low pressure areas, picking up case heat along the way. With the fans internal, the vacuum created in front of the fan will pull air through the rad, but the fan exhaust is undiluted, so gets full SP blown directly at the gpu.

Also check the fan curves, with the kind of wattage a 9900k can use, you'll be looking at closer to 95% fan speeds, don't need 100%, that last 5% or so is really nothing but increased noise.

Please post a photo of the room layout.

The room will heat up because of the heat generated by all that equipment.
The only good solution is to upgrade the ac unit to handle the heat.

In time, newer gen parts will have better power usage.
But that is a long term fix and not a very economical one.

Look up the power draw on all of your displays.
Some old ones can have very high power draws.