[SOLVED] Gpu copy randomly spikes to 100% making all the pc stutter for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2021
So basically, I don't know why or how, but my gpu copy spikes to 100% at random intervals and slows my pc.
I've tried to update bios, update gpu drivers, update windows, and update cpu drivers but to no avail.

These are my pc specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
MOBO: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE V2
RAM: 32GB CORSAIR 3200MHZ
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080
PSU: CORSAIR HX1200I
SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 PCIE NVME 2TB
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
CASE: NOX HUMMER TGX

I can't seem to link an image, so here's an imgur to the spike: View: https://imgur.com/a/3ef3ghS

Solution
Is there any reliable way to know if this is a hardware or a software problem?
Only through sheer testing, but that takes time.

You can try the GPU in another system if you have and see if it replicates that same behavior over time. Test it over a week.
If it does, then it is clearly the GPU's fault.
If it doesn't, then it may have something to do with your existing system.
As for what it is exactly, can't say for sure. But simple process of elimination will help identify which is at fault.

How I would usually avoid all of this hassle is research first the GPU before buying, especially if there are potential issues or manufacturing compromises done by the company as mentioned by kit guru.
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080
Googling this specific model of GPU, makes me think that there's something wrong about this specific model of GPU...however which exact model is it?
There' the ff:
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC 10G
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC 10G
and possibly many other variants... (not familiar with Gigabyte GPUs)

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/10677/fortnite-fps-spikes-gigabyte-3080

Reddit post

Maybe try this:

Guys, I discovered what's wrong with my card. Nvidia Broadcast (enhancing mic quality) software made it run at 1800MHz all the time, even without any load. I’ve uninstalled it and now the card idles on about 36-40 degrees, fans start above 50 degrees :)

Mar 6, 2021
Googling this specific model of GPU, makes me think that there's something wrong about this specific model of GPU...however which exact model is it?
There' the ff:
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC 10G
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC 10G
and possibly many other variants... (not familiar with Gigabyte GPUs)

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/10677/fortnite-fps-spikes-gigabyte-3080

Reddit post

Maybe try this:
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! I will try to uninstall that and see if it works!
The exact model is Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G I don't know if it will help to further investigate the problem but there it is.
I will update on whether this has solved my problem or not.

Mar 6, 2021
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! I will try to uninstall that and see if it works!
The exact model is Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10G I don't know if it will help to further investigate the problem but there it is.
I will update on whether this has solved my problem or not.
Well, I don't have nvidia broadcast installed so I don't really know what the problem is.

Just a thought

I was weary of Gigabyte already since the beginning of this year tbh, I've read a ton of complaints in r/gigabyte - especially with their GPUs and issues of cold booting with their X570 Aorus Elite motherboard. A ton of frustrated users, lack of much needed support.

I'm afraid worse case scenario is that GPU is inherently defective and the only way out is to try another brand.

Anecdotal from another forum:

Basically all Gigabyte 3080 comes with horrible thermal pads and they are not only suitable for mining but even for games.

I found about it while waiting for 3080 Vision OC and by searching for issues related to this card. I end up finding Russian mining forum where users were sharing their experience with difference 3080 AIB and I Gigabyte cards had walls of negative reviews related to thermal pads and memory chips overheating.

Personally I had no plans or intensions to mine on this card but the fact that it does have such widespread issues is pretty upsetting. I just went ahead and canceled my order.

Mar 6, 2021
Just a thought

I was weary of Gigabyte already since the beginning of this year tbh, I've read a ton of complaints in r/gigabyte - especially with their GPUs and issues of cold booting with their X570 Aorus Elite motherboard. A ton of frustrated users, lack of much needed support.

I'm afraid worse case scenario is that GPU is inherently defective and the only way out is to try another brand.

Anecdotal from another forum:

You can try the GPU in another system if you have and see if it replicates that same behavior over time. Test it over a week.
As for what it is exactly, can't say for sure. But simple process of elimination will help identify which is at fault.

How I would usually avoid all of this hassle is research first the GPU before buying, especially if there are potential issues or manufacturing compromises done by the company as mentioned by kit guru.

Reactions: Nelusito
Solution
Mar 6, 2021

oh okay, thank you so much though! Lets's hope for the best then

Status
Not open for further replies.