GPU/CPU Bottleneck

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevatheruiner1

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Im running a saphhire raedon hd 7770 graphics card, and my CPU is a AMD 8 core 8120. 8gig ram

I can't get good grahpics quality on the game im currently playing, Guild Wars 2. I can only get about 40 fps on about middle settings.

Which is my bottleneck here, CPU or GPU? Also looking for a better cooling situation for my GPU, it runs around 65C, seems high to me. Not sure if thats bad or not.

Solution
Nobody should be getting upset here - we all mean well, we're all trying to help the OP, and no one's attempting to offend anyone. Luciferano's trying to go about this from the best price : performance perspective, so let me try to articulate what he's saying in a significantly more verbose (and hopefully clearer) way:

The FX-8120 is the bottleneck for Guild Wars 2 (not the 7770), as GW2 simply does not work well with the Bulldozer architecture. The most affordable way to overcome this is through 1) overclocking it and 2) freeing up resources that are shared between cores.

On the point of overclocking, don't attempt this unless you have a 3rd-party CPU cooler. A CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO is a great entry-level cooler: it's affordable...

Because in all honest truth itd be a better option for him to get a Phenom II 975 if he can find it and OC it to 4.0 or 4.1 and do just like you did

trevatheruiner1

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Its an MSI 990 series i think, I' not home right now I can't remember the exact model. Its an MSI though i know. But the feature you said 'Manual Core diable' is exactly right, thats the feature i have available to me. But like i said, only the pairs of cores. Ill try to update also see if that does anything for me.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

If he can get the proper cores disabled and get a healthy overclock on it, I'd wager the FX would easily outperform the Phenom II. Remember, he's already getting about 40fps as it is.

You've probably got the 990XA-GD55 (or 990FXA-GD65). I can't find anything about core disabling with those motherboards, but I'll keep looking.

It's a funny game, it is. It's easy to run it on low details (my i5-2410m, HD3000 can get 30fps with high textures/animations and FXAA enabled, all else low, @ just over 720p), but once you start turning the settings up it starts to take its toll.

But that's not even mentioning the driver issues and random compatibility issues it had at launch (people with i7s and 7870s getting 10fps at low settings, etc).

trevatheruiner1

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Well, 40 fps at medium settings. :X I probably cant get much higher without spending lotsa money!

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll repost after i get home and try some stuff, and buy a new heatsink so i can OC safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS