Question GPU/CPU-bottlenecks, upgrade or not?

Meitran

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Hi everyone!
I mainly use my computer for gaming and are thinking about purchasing some new hardware. I normally play with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 as i use a ultra-wide. Currently i have I7 7700k CPU that is overclocked to 4,9 GHz and a GTX 1080TI GPU, 32 gb of ram and all ssd/m2 disks. Originally the plan was to buy the new RTX 3080 or 3080TI (depending on price), and just keep the CPU for now. But then i started to read about bottlenecking and how newer games support multicore CPU's. This leaves me with three options. I can either just keep the CPU if the bottleneck wont be too bad, i can buy a Intel 10700k, or i can wait for the next gen AMD Ryzen that is expected to be released soon (?)

So to the question that i am hoping you can help me with:
How bad do you think the bottleneck will be when playing at 3840 x 2160 and max settings in games, if i keep the 7700K?
Would a CPU-upgrade be worth it when it comes to performance gains?
If i do choose to upgrade, should i go for Ryzen or Intel?

My English is not the best, but i hope i managed to express myself :p

At higher resolutions you are less likely to bottleneck as your FPS is low due to gpu limitations. Running your very high resolution I would think any bottleneck would be small and only in a few games but there may not even be one. If me I’d get the new gpu and see how it goes.

Meitran

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies :)
Still not sure if i should upgrade my 7700k to a zen 3 when it launches (in october maybe?). Will it be any point in doing it when i only use the computer for gaming? How much will only having 4 cores slow me down, compared to having 8 cores? Still planning on combining this with the RTX 3080 and play on a 1440p ultrawide. I don't really care about performance testing, just about the real gaming performance.