GPU-CPU Combo/Bottleneck question

May 5, 2018
Hello guys ! I have older i5-2500 CPU. I want to combine him with GTX 1060 6 GB. Do you think that is bad solution ? I know bottleneck depends of the game, but i search for balance combo. =)

Solution
I wouldn't necessarily upgrade to 16GB DDR3... at some point you want to stop dumping money into an older system and at least the graphics card can be transferred to a new system.

Depends on the cost and how long you plan to keep it.

The bottleneck situation is hard to guess and as you said it "depends" though based on testing I'd say maybe 0% (no loss) to 20% loss in most modern titles for average FPS with periodic CPU bottlenecks causing stutter a bit more noticeable.

Even a GTX1080 will find many games where the CPU bottleneck is minor for average FPS at least... but do note other background programs can really spike usage when limited to only four older cores without hyperthreading which should cause more stutter (in some games)...
I wouldn't necessarily upgrade to 16GB DDR3... at some point you want to stop dumping money into an older system and at least the graphics card can be transferred to a new system.

Depends on the cost and how long you plan to keep it.

The bottleneck situation is hard to guess and as you said it "depends" though based on testing I'd say maybe 0% (no loss) to 20% loss in most modern titles for average FPS with periodic CPU bottlenecks causing stutter a bit more noticeable.

Even a GTX1080 will find many games where the CPU bottleneck is minor for average FPS at least... but do note other background programs can really spike usage when limited to only four older cores without hyperthreading which should cause more stutter (in some games) now that you are using more of the CPU to drive a faster graphics card.

Generally fine and for some titles if you have a 60Hz monitor you may want to force on Adaptive VSYNC then adjust game settings so your dips below 60FPS are 10% of the time or less (to optimize the visuals vs FPS/screen tear balance).

NVidia CP-> manage 3d settings... "add game"-> (setting)-> save

I did this for AC Unity (even with GTX1080) as screen tear was bad so I wanted VSYNC ON but then when I dropped below 60FPS I got bad stutters and usually these were at bad times like jumps or turning quickly... finally found Adaptive VSYNC to be optimal so I balanced about 90 to 95% (based on game visual settings) so those periodic drops don't cause added STUTTER due to VSYNC ON causing frame misses when you can't maintain the target... thus I get little, short bursts of screen tear rather than jarring stutter.

The GTX1060 6GB would be a great match overall though.

Solution