[SOLVED] GPU/CPU not using %100 of their processing power but still not getting best performance

Feb 14, 2019
When I play games on my computer, my framerate is not the best it can be. I use MSI Afterburner to monitor the performance and it shows that my cores and GPU are not at their maximum use. When running Valley Benchmark (Which uses GPU) I can get a good %99-100 Gpu usage. I suspect it may have something to do with the CPU, but considering it's not being fully used I don't know what to do.

Specs while running game

Full Hardware List:
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti Core Clock +200 Memory Clock +400
CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560
Mb: MSI - B250M Pro-Vd
Memory: Crucial 8Gb DDR4-2133
PSU: EVGA 430W

Last edited:
Solution
You can use DSR to enable a higher resolution than your screen's native resolution. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > DSR Factors and enable all of the check boxes. This doesn't actually do anything right away except open up the possibility of higher resolutions.

Then go to your in-game settings and you should have higher display resolutions available. Your GPU will render at the higher resolution, and then downscale to match your native resolution. This will tax your GPU as if you have a full 4K screen (or whatever resolution you set in-game). By checking all the boxes in the Nv Control Panel, you get more resolutions available in-game. Hint: it also works on your desktop resolutions.
It depends, some games stress the GPU or CPU more intensely. You can change the balance of which component gets more stress by raising and lowering the resolution. Higher resolutions stress the GPU and lower resolutions stress the CPU. Then again, it also depends on which games you're playing.

Reactions: ZABINO
Feb 14, 2019
It depends, some games stress the GPU or CPU more intensely. You can change the balance of which component gets more stress by raising and lowering the resolution. Higher resolutions stress the GPU and lower resolutions stress the CPU. Then again, it also depends on which games you're playing.
Is their any way to stress them more on my current resolution? I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor.

You can use DSR to enable a higher resolution than your screen's native resolution. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > DSR Factors and enable all of the check boxes. This doesn't actually do anything right away except open up the possibility of higher resolutions.

Then go to your in-game settings and you should have higher display resolutions available. Your GPU will render at the higher resolution, and then downscale to match your native resolution. This will tax your GPU as if you have a full 4K screen (or whatever resolution you set in-game). By checking all the boxes in the Nv Control Panel, you get more resolutions available in-game. Hint: it also works on your desktop resolutions.

Solution