Question GPU, CPU, or Motherboard failure?

cosmicspacehead

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Hello! My PC is a fairly new construction.
Upgraded over the years and as of last year, it's basically entirely new, except the case.

It's an AMD Ryzen 5 3600
32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X rev1
XFX AMD RX 590 8Gb
1tb M2
500gb SSD
1tb HDD
Windows 10
Corsair CX 650 (now a Corsair RM850)

It was working perfectly up until about 2 weeks ago. Used it fine in the morning for streaming and gaming, then we had an earthquake (3.8 rare in England!) while my PC was off.
Went to fire it up the next day and it wouldn't POST, no errors, just never made it that far, no display, nothing.
Didn't take much faffing to get it to boot to windows, but AMD wasn't detecting the GPU properly. Reinstalled the drivers and it seems ok until it restarted. Same error. Or lack of.
First instinct was the GPU had gone, but I also suspected the PSU as my old CX650 was making some odd noises for a while.
Ordered an RM850 and plugged that in, while rechecking everything was secure.
After a few attempts, it finally booted up perfectly normally , and I even played some X4 foundations for about an hour, then the GPU driver crashed again.
Rebooting the PC brought it back to failing to reach POST, even with the new PSU.

Just spent all of this morning dismantling my PC and testing each component, each RAM module, ect ect.
Something I did finally got the PC posting, and I get the GPU error. Beeeeep-beep-beep-beep.
(Oddly if I took the RAM out, I got no errors at all, just failure to reach POST.)
With the PC semi stable, I quickly used Q flash to update the BIOS to the latest.

As a test I put the GPU in the second PCI slot, and it boots up almost normally, but windows doesn't detect the GPU, and eventually the display goes off (but it's still running).

Now I'm stuck. I have no spare components to try, or any friends with spare parts to swap out.
I can't figure out what it might be.
I've ruled out the PSU, RAM seems ok.
The constant boot loop makes me feel like there's a short somewhere, but nothing is out of place. Also doesn't explain why it will suddenly boot to windows with or without a display.

Only thing I haven't done is Reseat the CPU. Mainly because I forgot, but partly because I didn't have time anyway. lol

Anyway, what do you think? GPU, CPU or Motherboard?

Anyway, what do you think? GPU, CPU or Motherboard?

If you are sure that the PSU is OK, then the motherboard is the next target...

You should remove all the components from it, inspect for physical damage, start from scratch with just RAM and CPU to see if there is any error (by lighting or audible signal).

I tend to avoid motherboard without onboard VGA just because this type of issue.

g-unit1111

Titan
You're powering an R9-590 with a Corsair CX650? That's probably your problem right there. I would suggest ditching that PSU ASAP.

I wouldn't worry about resetting the CPU because CPUs rarely fail. GPUs can fail under a number of different circumstances but again it's still pretty rare if it happens.

How did you reset the cmos? I would take the battery out of the motherboard and unplug it from the mains and hold down the power button, and leave it sit for a few min. Re install the battery and plug her in and see she boots.

Try a different display cable if you can just to rule it out, I mean a 3.8 don't shake too much so I can't really see anything being jarred loose with everything being installed. Also are you sure the outlet you are using works? I know you guys use 240v mains and maybe one side of the mains is dead after that earthquake, Try another outlet on a different circuit if possible, just a guess.

If possible, try a different GPU, or try your GPU in a different PC.

Just throwing out suggestions.

Good Luck!