Question GPU CRASH, Black Screen, Fans running high, Safe mode runs fine.

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017
[specs below]

Hi there,

Been having a problem where whenever I try to load up my computer the graphics card crashs, the screen goes black and the fans go on high speed. This first happened while playing a game, then it'd get progressively worse on restart to the point where I couldn't get to the log in screen. The crash is very reminiscent of the ones in these threads i've linked below:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-black-screen-crashing-when-gpu-under-load.3115941/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/a0ejrg/black_screen_crash_and_suspected_dead_gpu

I've tried some of the suggestions from these threads, reapplying thermal paste to the GPU, changing power connections and uninstalling and reinstalling driver software. The driver issue actually worked for a time. I uninstalled the drivers using DDU then reinstalled them. This worked until i was again playing a game and the issue started again from scratch like it had last time.

I believe there is a software related issue here, I haven't used the GPU to any great lengths, temperatures have never exceeded anything damaging for any length of time, and the system works perfectly fine in safemode. This is a new build. I initially had an issue with the CPU and the BIOS, I bought a 7th generation intel processor, i5 7600k, which the bios didn't recognise so I had to install an older CPU to update the bios then reinstall the i5. I didn't update to the most recent bios and only up to the one that allowed for 7th generation CPUs (potential mistake?).

Any suggestions would be fantastic, I am going to keep reading around the issue and trying fixes, if anything works i'll post back.

Thanks for reading, Tom.

(C&P from Speccy)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.80GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170N-Gaming 5 (U3E1)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@64Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 36 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Last edited:

Tom_184

Reputable
Jan 14, 2017
Small edit: updated the BIOS to the most recent version F23f, which has had no impact on results. Currently running in normal mode, as opposed to safe mode, with no graphics drivers installed. Any attempt to install causes the crash. Reinstalling OS had no effect.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Small edit: updated the BIOS to the most recent version F23f, which has had no impact on results. Currently running in normal mode, as opposed to safe mode, with no graphics drivers installed. Any attempt to install causes the crash. Reinstalling OS had no effect.

This might help!!
I tried everything, Every possible thing such as Changing PSU, Power Cables, Driver Updates, New GPU, Quadros, Titans and 2080Ti, OS Fresh Install, Thermal Compound and 75 others. None of these solved my issue. I decided to burn my PC and Hang myself to death. Right then something crossed. I install the OS in a new drive. I did that and IT WORKED!!. I am yet to check if my old SSD is corrupt but running WIN10 in a new SSD seems to be my solution. I guess no one knows what is the root cause of this problem coz there is no one solution that works for everyone but changing the C: drive solved my issue.