GPU crashed and won’t boot up

mszl

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Hi folks. Read tons of threads here and could find solution to my issue.

I have following build:
I5 7600k
Asus z270g
Crucial ssd
16gb (2x8) Gskill 3000mhz
650w gold Psu

Installed gpu 1080 ti from Asus. Brand new. Connected 2x 8pin power connectors. Booted on integrated vga. Installed drivers and connected monitor to gpu.

System crashed and won’t boot up.

It boots if: gpu not in pci slot or gpu in slot but disconnected from psu.
Otherwise just 0,5 sec and it is ac power failure (it tries to boot one more time as per bios setting)

What I did later was:

Boot with power from psu on gpu.
Once booted insert card into pcie.
Works perfectly. But... it goes back to ac failure if windows woken up from sleep, or regular boot after shutting down pc. I can restart no problem then it boots up just fine and gpu works flawlessly.

Is it
Faulty gpu.
Shitty psu
Incorrect bios settings
Pcie slot?

Sedivy

Estimable
Can you try a different pcie slot?
Any way you can pop your gpu into a different computer?
Can you get into windows and check in event viewer the timestamp within few minutes of ac failure. Look for critical event within that time window. Write out id and description here.

"Once booted insert card into pcie". You shouldn't have done that. You could have easily fried the motherboard and the GPU. Never ever plug or remove a PCIe card when the system is live. Maybe you were facing a simple compatibility issue and now you have managed to damage the mobo (PCIe slot) or the GPU.

Also the installation procedure you mentioned was wrong. You don't boot with the integrated GPU. You log into the windows, uninstall the iGPU drivers, shut down, install the GPU, plug the monitor into the GPU, power on the system, log into the windows, install drivers and your done. If it doesn't work you have to log into the BIOS and disable the integrated GPU and select the PCIe GPU as the primary boot GPU.

You could also try to update the mobo UEFI/BIOS as it may fix some compatibility issues. Additionally you should try to reset the CMOS.

Now what you can do is try to test the GPU:
1)Into another PC
2)Into another PCIe slot on your mobo
3)With another PSU in your system.

That way you'll find out who's or what's responsible for your issues.

EDIT. Please post your exact PSU model. Just telling us that it's a gold PSU, doesn't say much about the PSU's quality and capability to properly power a 1080ti.

mszl

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
PSU - silentumPC supremo Fm2 650W

GPU - asus rog strix 1080ti

I lean to gpu being faulty as it all started once I connected external monitor to it...

Edit: same behavior on pcie #2

Test the GPU into another system if you have one available (maybe a friend's PC). If it works without issues, then borrow another PSU and test it in your system. If the problem remains then your motherboard maybe bad. Update the BIOS, if you already have the latest BIOS version, reset the CMOS. If that also doesn't work then your motherboard is definitely bad, provided that your GPU works properly in another system. Finally there is also the possibility that you damaged something during the GPU installation procedure. In either case you may have to RMA the motherboard/GPU or in the worst case scenario both of them.

mszl

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

I'm replacing / upgrading PSU first. Need to check where I could try GPU out. If both OK then will RMA mobo.

TRENDING THREADS