GPU crashed randomly, black screen on login

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I'm having a very specific issue. Parts are below. This rig was built in 2011, is running Windows 10.

P8P67le Rev 3.0 mobo
Sapphire 6850 Radeon
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600
i5 2500K CPU

I was playing a game and my screen went black, I have a dual monitor setup, the other one did the same. After rebooting, the screen would not come on. I went into safe mode, uninstalled the driver, so I could still use the VGA slots. Eventually, in Windows again, it crashes randomly. So I attempted to install the driver in Safe Mode to see what gives, it crashes the program, every time.

Even with the driver not installed, I am not certain it's trying to install it in the background or what, but it inevitably crashes in Windows. Safe mode, I seem to be able to let it run just fine, no crash.

A friend of mine gave me a GFX 750 Ti to replace my gfx card, we thought that was the issue, it seems his card is DOA because it doesn't detect it at all in my motherboard or drives. I downloaded the driver software for it from nVidia, and still wasn't able to detect the card.

When I plugged in the 750 Ti by itself, I got the 1 long, 3 short beeps for my mobo telling me no vga. Which makes me think it's for sure DOA, the fan spins, but that's it, which means nothing.

I'm not sure if it's the GFX or the motherboard but I've run out of ideas of what to try, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, it'd be awesome.

EDIT: I clean it periodically usually once or twice a year, so it has been dusted. Also, windows being allowed to install the driver itself also produces a crash.