Question GPU Crashes 100% Fans, Other Issues

ChaoSwordsman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I'm having an issue with my computer for the last while.

It started a few months where my GPU would crash, my screens would go black and the fan would go max speed, but everything else works, like audio. Generally happens during playing games. I thought I fixed it awhile ago by completely removing my drivers and rolling back to an older one. But the issue started to come up again a month or so ago. I did a full clean of the drivers again but put on more current drivers and it's still crashing.

This issue only started up again recently AFTER another issue started to occur. My computer would crash and not post unless I removed a stick of RAM or moved it to another slot. This happened at least four times in the course of a week but seems to be working fine right now with the original two sticks, and I'm unsure why. I did swap them to the other channel.

I thought it could be my PSU, RAM, GPU or motherboard.
  • RAM memtest turned up nothing unusual after an hour and a half.
  • Originally, the GPU would crash after a short while during the Heaven Benchmark, but I have yet to try it since the first time it had this issue a few months ago. Temperature is not an issue (crashes on 55C)
  • My PSU's voltages on the 12v rail looked like it could be the problem as the bios shows 11.0-11.6v, while programs generally sit around 11.880v idle (though today it has been lower), but sometimes goes as low as 10.4v randomly. People have said software readings aren't that reliable (I mean as of writing this It's currently under 11v according to AIDA) so I checked it with a multimeter and the values are all normal (12.1 to be exact).
  • Because of the RAM swap thing I thought maybe it is my motherboard acting up. It doesn't help that when I got it i bent a socket pin, but I was able to fix it, and that was over 4 years ago and I hadn't had any issues otherwise. I have had issues with my USB keyboard and mice where sometimes buttons/macros won't work, or USB passthrough isnt working correctly and Corsair's iCue would list the keyboard (have had it on multiple keyboards) as essentially not working as intended almost on a daily basis. I dunno if it has something to do with the motherboard itself or a software thing as I've tried multiple USB slots.
I've been planning on upgrading my PC, well was supposed to already with the new Ryzens, but it's hard to get any, and potentially the Radeon cards early next year. I'm just curious what other people's take is on the issue.

Specs:
Windows 10
CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: GTX 1060 (6GB)
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB 24000MHz (so very slow)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming-5
PSU: Corsair AX760

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Just as I wrote this, a couple hours later the PC crashed and would not post as it did a couple weeks ago. I unplugged and reconnected all the power supply cables and it posted.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY