Question GPU crashes after PC has been on for a while, but is fine after a reboot

Hellcat711

Honorable
Dec 16, 2014
Hi all,

So, my GPU has a quirk (I assume it's my GPU that's causing it) that causes a driver crash whenever I try to play a game for more than a few minutes. This only occurs once the pc has been running for a few hours or has put to sleep and woken up since last reboot. This seems to apply to every game that requires moderate processing power. Many games don't produce legible crash reports, just stutter, freeze and then crash to desktop. However the ones that do (e.g. DCS) usually say DXGI_Error_Device_Removed.

My Google-fu tells me it's a driver issue and has literally thousands of possible causes. To remedy this I have reinstalled Nvidia several time, with and without DDU, tried reseating the GPU in the mobo, de-dustified the whole inside of the pc and even recently done a complete reinstall, during which I used a USB install and formatted every drive attached to my system.

Admittedly it's a little better after the wipe however the issue still remains, play a couple of sessions of a game such as AC Origins (which needs to be in windowed borderless or else it crashes) and it starts it cycle of crashing and needs to be rebooted to work properly again.

Is this anything I can solve or do I have a duff GPU? Is it even the GPU?

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 2500
AB-350 Gaming mobo
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB HDD, 1 125GB SSD (OS) and 1x 250GB SSD
CX 550M PSU
16GB DDR4
Hyper 212 Evo cooler

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS