Question GPU crashes at seemingly random

Jun 8, 2019
GPU is a GTX 1070
CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
I have a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
MOBO is an ASUS Prime X470-pro
PSU is Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
I have a Kingston A1000 M.2 960GB ssd as my boot drive running windows 10
I also have two HDDs that are used only as storage.
Updated GPU Driver soon after this problem started but nothing changed.
no overclocking or anything.

I've been using this computer since Saturday last week with no problems whatsoever. And now suddenly my GPU will crash, seemingly at random and my my screen will go black.

I can play games without issues as far as I can tell but if I do anything else like surf the web, I run the risk of the GPU crashing. This isn't confirmed for sure but as soon after the issue started, I ran Skyrim and didn't have any crashes while it was running. This problem started around 9 pm Friday. From what I recall, I had some tabs open on chrome, watching youtube videos. I had left the computer on overnight as I was restarting a monero node from scratch. it was near finishing when the issues started but the GPU will crash regardless of Monero running or not.

It's not an overheating issue as I am running CAM and it's showing the GPU temp at around 46 c

Wednesday I had removed the GPU to remove and reinstall the MOBO into the case to correctly install the I/O shield.

As I was writing this (on a different computer) the GPU crashed and immediately restarted while nothing but CAM was running.

Rarely does the GPU crash and immediately restart, mostly it just crashes, forcing me to restart my computer.

I believe it's the GPU that is crashing as the lights on it go dark while the rest of the computers lights and fans continue to run. I am at a loss.

EDIT: To test the gameplay theory, I played fallout 4. Normally, the GPU will crash within 15 minutes, the usually closer to 5-10, if I'm not running a game. The GPU crashed after closer to 40 minutes while I was playing Fallout. So it still crashes, but it seems to hold on longer if I'm playing something.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Replying to my post since I may have discovered what was wrong. It seems the answer was "hidden" in my post, though it may jump out to some of you. There was one common program running during all this time. nzxts CAM. It randomly happened to fail to load on startup once and I didn't experience any crashes. To test it, I launched it, and without 5 minutes, the GPU crashed. I'm aware this may just be a coincidence, but I have since uninstalled it.

Before uninstalling though I closed it and when I went to the task manager, there where 4 instances of CAM running. Don't know if this is normal. Anyways, I tried to end task one of the instances and my GPU immediately crashed. May be another coincidence. Anyways, I will update this post if I still experience any crashes.